Drew crosses line first
LEWIS Hamilton is not the only motor racing ace to enjoy a meteoric rise to the top. Fenland has its own new boy who has become British champion in only his second year of racing. Steve Drew, of Wisbech, a business support officer with Fenland District
LEWIS Hamilton is not the only motor racing ace to enjoy a meteoric rise to the top. Fenland has its own 'new boy' who has become British champion in only his second year of racing.
Steve Drew, of Wisbech, a business support officer with Fenland District Council, has swept the board in the 2007 Top Rod racing championships after just two years behind the wheel of the lightning-quick 1:6 scale radio-controlled racing machines.
In his first year he took third place in the European Championship.
Steve has had a long association with motor racing and was an experienced rally driver, competing in the Army Championships in his youth.
He has also spent more than 15 years working with Wisbech-born, four-time world National Hot Rod champion Barry Lee.
Steve said: "I found I did not have the time to continue travelling around the country competing in rally events, but I was still keen to be involved in racing and Top Rod racing fitted the bill perfectly.
- 1 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 2 No balloons plea to death crash motorcycle tribute convoy
- 3 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 4 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 5 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 6 Suspected poachers caught in farmyard raid as cops crackdown continues
- 7 Family's questions over Covid death of beloved hospital care worker
- 8 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 9 Universal credit households to receive £20 for rising living costs
- 10 Fenmen 'not far' from turning fortunes round despite second straight loss
"I was delighted to have enjoyed success so early in my Top Rod career. I am sure it is down to my years of experience as a rally driver."
n Our picture shows Steve with his championship trophy.