Fenland football fan spotted on national TV as he takes Wisbech-embellished flag to Russia for the 2018 World Cup semi-final
- Credit: Archant
A man from Fenland, along with three of his Norwich pals, were spotted on national television last night (July 11) when supporting England during their World Cup game against Croatia.
Paul Green, who lives in Upwell, took his Wisbech-embellished England flag to the semi-final match in Russia, sporting the Norwich City Football Club emblem in the top left and bottom right corners.
The flag has been to more than 20 football games during its lifetime, locations including South Africa, Albania, Kazakhstan and even Spain during the 1982 World Cup.
Dozens of people spotted the group last night, Wisbech’s social media forums were full of images of the town’s name plastered across their television screens.
One user said: “Ayyyy big up Wisbech, at the World Cup semi final.”
Another football fan added: “Legend even has the right team emblem.”
Paul describes the atmosphere last night as ‘unbelievable’ that was of course until Croatia scored against England – not once, but twice – leaving the final result at 2 -1 to Croatia, sending us packing.
- 1 Mechanic turned astrophotographer's stunning images of space
- 2 Missing woman back home
- 3 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 4 Academy students pitch to the ‘dragons’ for new sports club
- 5 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 6 Wife pays tribute to ex-footballer who 'I could always rely on'
- 7 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
- 8 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 9 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 10 Pastor in freedom of speech and job fight over Pride tweet
Paul and his friends now face a gruelling journey back to Norfolk from Russia via Moldova, but he says although the trip is long, it is still “well worth it”.