Fenland football fan spotted on national TV as he takes Wisbech-embellished flag to Russia for the 2018 World Cup semi-final
- Credit: Archant
A man from Fenland, along with three of his Norwich pals, were spotted on national television last night (July 11) when supporting England during their World Cup game against Croatia.
Paul Green, who lives in Upwell, took his Wisbech-embellished England flag to the semi-final match in Russia, sporting the Norwich City Football Club emblem in the top left and bottom right corners.
The flag has been to more than 20 football games during its lifetime, locations including South Africa, Albania, Kazakhstan and even Spain during the 1982 World Cup.
Dozens of people spotted the group last night, Wisbech’s social media forums were full of images of the town’s name plastered across their television screens.
One user said: “Ayyyy big up Wisbech, at the World Cup semi final.”
You may also want to watch:
Another football fan added: “Legend even has the right team emblem.”
Paul describes the atmosphere last night as ‘unbelievable’ that was of course until Croatia scored against England – not once, but twice – leaving the final result at 2 -1 to Croatia, sending us packing.
- 1 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
- 2 Frightened cancer patient with Covid relieved as hospital extend stay
- 3 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 4 The Queen Elizabeth Hospital launches Covid-19 patient helpline
- 5 Man charged with drink driving, possession of a knife and cannabis
- 6 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 7 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 8 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 9 Shoplifter jailed after stealing goods worth £1,600
- 10 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
Paul and his friends now face a gruelling journey back to Norfolk from Russia via Moldova, but he says although the trip is long, it is still “well worth it”.