Diamond couple celebrate at March Golf Club
- Credit: Archant
Former captains of March Golf Club, Henry “John” Papworth and his wife Jill, have celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary.
The couple - who were captains of the club in 1968 - held a lunch party at the golf club for family and friends.
Mr and Mrs Papworth first met when he was doing an engineering apprenticeship with Ramsomes, Sims and Jefferies in Ipswich, and she was a theatre staff nurse at the Ipswich and East Suffolk Hospital.
Mr Papworth, who was chairman of the golf club from 1969-89 and was was club president for 11 years, said: “We were introduced my friends, and we were married at St John’s Church in Felixstowe on December 8 1953.”
The couple have lived in March all their married life. They have two sons, Nigel and Henry “Joe,” and nine grandchildren.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Papworth and his brother owned Miller and Sons (Wisbech) Ltd, with premises in March and Wisbech, before selling the business in 1990.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 Watches and electric display box stolen in village burglary
- 6 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 7 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 Victory for the men in red