Darts legend ‘Wolfie’ Adams helps raise �800 for Fenland village church blighted by thieves
MORE than �800 was raised as darts legend Martin ‘Wolfie’ Adams took to the oche to support a village church which has been blighted by thieves.
Friends of Newton Church were devastated when lead was stolen from the building’s roof twice in the last year – forcing them to use money raised to build a new kitchen and toilet on urgent repairs instead.
But the group were given a massive fundraising boost on Wednesday night as Adams took on a host of challengers at a special darts exhibition at Tydd St Giles Community Centre.
More than 100 people attended the event with men, women and children all jumping at the chance to throw against the BDO World Champion and England captain.
Wolfie was kept busy with 26 exhibition games before the dartboard was auctioned off for a staggering �210 at the end of the night.
You may also want to watch:
Sandy Watts, a member of the friends of the church group, thanked everyone who supported the event. “The evening was extremely successful,” she said. “The atmosphere was great and Wolfie and the MC Ian Tilley did a fantastic job.
“The Friends of Newton Church worked really hard to bring the evening about and we plan to hold many other events in the future.”
- 1 Suspected drink-driver, 41, arrested after tip-off from resident
- 2 Man escapes ‘shocking case’ of modern slavery at hand car wash
- 3 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 4 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 5 Police thank eagle-eyed motorist for being ‘right place, right time’
- 6 Share your views on our newspaper via reader survey
- 7 Woman ‘drink driver’ arrested for having no licence or insurance
- 8 WATCH: Air ambulances can't land after hospital helipad wrecked by US aircraft
- 9 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream
- 10 Man who died in road crash is named