Caught in public with a knuckleduster and a knife and in possession of drugs, West Norfolk man Ben Rider jailed at Peterborough Crown Court
- Credit: Archant
A West Norfolk man found with an axe, knife and knuckle-duster in a busy town centre has been jailed for 13 months.
Ben Rider, 35, was reported to patrolling officers by a concerned member of the public at about 9pm on 5 November last year after they saw a ‘bizarre handle’ poking from his pocket.
As the two officers approached, Rider attempted to flee but was restrained and arrested. During a search, officers uncovered the weapons along with class A and B drugs.
In interview, Rider claimed he knew it was an offence to carry the weapons but, “it was only for show.”
Rider, of Follens Road, Walpole St Andrew, near Wisbech, admitted charges of possessing an offensive weapon in public, resisting arrest and possession of class A and B drugs.
You may also want to watch:
He was sentenced on Friday (January 11) Peterborough Crown Court.
PC Harley Smart said: “Regardless of whether or not Rider intended to use the weapons, he broke the law and distressed a member of the public in the process.
- 1 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 2 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 3 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 4 Showcase status for Academy
- 5 47-home estate 'beggars belief' says councillor
- 6 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
- 7 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 8 ‘From street dog to show champion’ - how Toby rescued his family
- 9 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 10 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
“I would like to commend the quick-thinking member of the public who alerted officers and hope this sentencing will serve as a reminder of the consequences of carrying weapons”
Anyone who knows someone who carries a knife can report it anonymously by calling Crimestoppers on: 0800 555 111 or visit: www.crimestoppers-uk.org