The day Wisbech added some Wizz, threw in some sand and deckchairs, brought out the donkeys and created the town of Wis-beach
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech adopted its surreal best on Sunday as the town put the beach into Wis-beach.
Sand was shipped into the town overnight and an array of candy floss and other stalls – and of course deck chairs – brought the seaside deep into the heart of the Fens. A coconut shy, beach bar, crazy golf and of course Punch and Judy helped to complete an impressive line up.
And what a turn out.
Hundreds joined the fun for a typical day at the seaside but without the need to drive anywhere.
Mayor Peter Human encapsulated the spirit of the occasion by donning his civic regalia before promptly perching himself on a stripy deck chair to watch the world go by.
You may also want to watch:
Music and karaoke kept the buzz going but for kids the best place in town was the sand pit.
Council leader Sam Hoy said it was third time the event had been staged and the council was delighted with how it had progressed.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 So that's settled - Government not council will fund new school
- 3 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 4 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 5 Emporium takes business to next level
- 6 Family friends to cycle from Wales to Wisbech to create more happy memories
- 7 New era begins at table tennis club rescued from the brink
- 8 Author reflects on reasons behind 'The Chapel of Ease'
- 9 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
“It was a great day,” she said. “The idea originally came from a staff member at the council and we all thought ‘why not’? We’ve got quite good at it too and already looking forward to next year.”
And she promised to double the amount of sand brought in to cope with demand.