Wisbech: Multi-tasking police officers seize two vehicles at once
- Credit: Cambridgeshire Police
Quick-thinking police officers seized two vehicles at once in Wisbech, a black BMW and an e-scooter.
The BMW was seized after its owner had told officers that he hadn't realised that his car insurance had been cancelled.
Officers later searched the car and found a letter from his insurance company advising him of the cancellation.
Whilst dealing with this offence, a woman approached riding an e-scooter, whom the officers recognised.
She had been told by the same officers, a day previously, that riding e-scooters on roads or public footpaths outside of an approved Government scheme is illegal.
By law, e-scooters can only be ridden in areas taking part in a trial-scheme, such as the 'Voi electric bike and scooter trial' in Cambridge, or on private property.
Because of this, the woman's e-scooter was seized along with the BMW that the officers were dealing with at the time.
A spokesperson for Cambridgeshire Police said: "As they were dealing with this (the BMW with no insurance) a woman approached them riding on an e-scooter.
"She looked familiar, very familiar.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 Man in his 20s dies after crash in west Norfolk
- 3 Tribute to ‘much-loved’ school worker who died suddenly in Wisbech
- 4 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
- 5 ‘Sudden death’ reported at Nene and Ramnoth School in Wisbech
- 6 Recap: A47 shut near Wisbech and King's Lynn after evening crash
- 7 Met Office forecast for Cambridgeshire after weekend of mixed weather
- 8 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
- 9 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 10 Man arrested after 'game of hide and seek' with police dogs and helicopter
"Officers had spoken to her the previous day and given her words of advice about, you guessed it, riding an e-scooter in public.
"Having clearly not listened, the e-scooter was seized along with the BMW."