£560 raised to replace stolen paper boy's bike
- Credit: Fiona Evans
An appeal raised £560 to buy a replacement bike for a 15-year-old paper boy who had his stolen while he was inside a newsagents’ sorting his deliveries.
The theft took place from outside Manea One Stop in Park Road on Saturday and CCTV is being viewed to help catch the offender.
The boy’s mother, Fiona Evans, was furious and offered a £100 reward to track down the bike.
“It is so sad someone feels the need to take a young lad’s bike while he is trying to do a job and earn a little money,” she said.
In the hours following the theft, Fiona secured CCTV footage and contacted police.
You may also want to watch:
She says she has been provided with a description of the thief who was “smartly dressed like they had been out the night before.
“They were walking down High Street, crossing Park Road to carry on towards Westfield Road.
- 1 'Numerous cars' in roundabout crash
- 2 Police share images of Wisbech cannabis factory
- 3 Recycling firm goes bust ahead of £55,000 court fines and costs
- 4 Man hails social media after finding stolen dumper in under 48 hours
- 5 ‘I’m tired of being fobbed off’ says customer of Wisbech builder
- 6 Grandmother crochets 'worry worms' for children to find
- 7 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
- 8 Spotted in Ely founder Mark Cooney dies
- 9 Plans for multi-million pound training school given green light
- 10 Grandmother of drowning victim calls for Bawsey Pits closure
“They must have looked down, obviously saw the bike so decided to help himself so as not to walk.”
The suspected bike thief is said to have been wearing a black Nike hoodie with orange tick, grey tech fleece Nike jogging bottom, and white Nike trainers
She vented her anger on a local Facebook group describing him as “a dirty piece of scum”.
And she added: “I suggest who ever felt the need to steal my son’s bike from outside the shop this morning while he was sorting out paper deliveries bloody returns it now.
“Trust me I will be hunting you down.”
It was taken between 6.30am and 7am on Saturday.
A fund-raising campaign was set up to replace the bike and quickly topped then surpassed its target.
“I would like to say a massive thank you to all your kind people in helping my son get a bike after his was stolen,” she said.
"It has come to light that a black Mondeo flew out of Edwards Way, going up the High Street turned around and parked up.
“The thief got out of car already hooded went and took the bike.
“The car then drove to the cafe where they put the bike in the back and drove down the High Street towards Westfield Road.”
She said police have the details.