Shoplifter jailed after stealing goods worth £1,600
- Credit: Archant/Police
A woman who stole alcohol and handbags worth more than £1,600 from four shops - including Tesco stores in March and Wisbech - has been jailed.
Lorraine Williams, 48, stole 16 bottles of spirits worth £540 from Tesco in Hostmoor Avenue, March, on Sunday January 17.
She was captured on CCTV using the de-tagging device to remove security tags from the alcohol.
The next day, the 48-year-old targeted Tesco Extra in Cromwell Road, Wisbech, and stole a trolley full of spirits amounting to £180.
Williams was arrested at the Tesco Extra store at Serpentine Green, Hampton, on Monday (January 18 ) after police received reports of shoplifting.
You may also want to watch:
She was questioned by store security after she attempted to leave the shop with a trolley containing a blanket concealing alcohol and household items worth £720.
Williams had entered the store, headed straight to the homeware section and selected a blanket and other items before moving on to the spirits isle and placing five bottles of Smirnoff vodka and two bottles of wine in her trolley.
- 1 A 42-bedroom hotel with ballroom and set in three acres for sale
- 2 Paedophile exposed himself to mum near school
- 3 Brother-in-law eyes 400-mile trek in memory of United fan Jamie
- 4 Media 'mischief making' over council investments
- 5 Council told in 2019 Chatteris factory would close
- 6 Flooding: 'We’ve probably lost around £10,000'
- 7 Speeding van driver causes mayhem on Fenland road
- 8 ‘Hugging, kissing' in mayor’s pub –one of 21 Covid breaches
- 9 Assault on tax officials lands man in court
- 10 Wife leads tributes to 'generous' husband after battle with Covid-19
Covering all the items up with the blanket, Williams then exited the store without making any attempt to pay, however she was stopped by the eagle-eyed security guard.
Police were called to arrest Williams who was found with a ‘de-tagging’ device concealed within her bra.
Williams, of Crowland Road in Eye, appeared at Cambridge Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday (January 19) where she admitted three charges of theft - including stealing a Ted Baker handbag worth £180 from John Lewis in Cambridge on October 3 last year.
She was sentenced to 18 weeks in prison.