Ram raiders smash their way into Nisa
- Credit: HARRY GOODMAN
Eye witnesses have spoken of an armed gang that forced their way into a local supermarket in Chatteris tonight.
The Nisa store in Park Street has been extensively damaged after the front was smashed in.
One report says a vehicle was used to force entry and the gang then used a pickup truck to drag the ATM cash machine out to the front.
“The gang brought with them circular saws,” said a local resident.
“This was presumably to get the machine disconnected.”
A heavy police presence remains and part of the area has been sealed off.
Photos from the scene show massive damage to the front of the store, with debris piled onto the pavement.
- 1 Man alleged to have kidnapped child sparks heavy police presence
- 2 Chip shop’s new platter dish ‘The Great Gordon’ tribute to late founder
- 3 Fraudster rented out homes for cannabis factories worth over £300k
- 4 Paddleboarder dies after getting into difficulty on river
- 5 Man, 37, named as A14 death crash victim
- 6 Man suspected of touching child outside supermarket
- 7 Two vehicles in ditches after crash on A141 between March and Guyhirn
- 8 Wisbech based Alan Hudson centre receives third outstanding award
- 9 Man who glassed another man in the head after a fight jailed
- 10 Cops catch out suspected drug driver who faked identity
One other resident: "There is a video someone showed my of the culprits taking the cash machine away in a pork pie van. Very brazen they were."
(This report has been compiled with the assistance of local residents. More on this breaking story as we get it).