Coversure director warns Fenland homeowners to be prepared for floods after Cumbria disaster
IN the wake of the dreadful floods in Cumbria, Jane Sutton, Managing Director of Coversure in Wisbech, urges local homeowners and businesses to be prepared. We have all seen on the news what devastation a flood can bring. Water is relentless, and if you
IN the wake of the dreadful floods in Cumbria, Jane Sutton, Managing Director of Coversure in Wisbech, urges local homeowners and businesses to be prepared.
We have all seen on the news what devastation a flood can bring.
Water is relentless, and if you are in its way, there is nothing you can do to hold it back.
If you are properly insured, you should be covered for the damage and repairs.
You may also want to watch:
When disaster strikes, Insurers are very quick to set up additional phone lines and draft in staff to cope with the calls.
If you could be susceptible to this kind of damage, here are some top tips to help you make a plan.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 3 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 4 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 5 100 mile charity walk inspired by mum's breast cancer recovery
- 6 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies
- 7 Room to improve as villagers fail to cope with rampant visitors
- 8 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 9 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 10 Vicar's concerns over 'hugely vulnerable' rough sleepers
When the warning comes, you should be able to spring into action;
Keep important papers upstairs, and make sure your insurance documents are close to hand.
Keep a list of important phone numbers.
If you have a store of sandbags, keep them where it's easy to reach them when you get the warning.
Locate any airbricks around the building. Lots of people sandbag doors and forget the other routes in.
Have an emergency pack ready. Include a torch, dry clothes, a flask, blankets, toiletries, first aid and water containers.
Make sure mobiles are fully charged.
Have a plan, but be aware that safety comes first and that you should not take risks unnecessarily.
Here are a few things to have in your plan:
Turn off the electricity.
Look out for the elderly and vulnerable.
Make sure they are safe, and be prepared to call emergency services if you suspect they are in trouble.
Move important furniture upstairs or to a higher part of the building, especially electrical items.
If you have to evacuate, take care. Even a 12 inch current can knock you off your feet.
Insurance can be considerably more costly in high risk areas.
It pays to use a broker to help you to find the right cover for you.
Brokers will look for the very best price for you without compromising on cover.
Jane Sutton is the owner of Coversure (Wisbech).
Coversure Insurance Services has 87 branches around the UK and deals with �65m of premiums per year.