Consultations to take place about moving taxi rank from Horsefair - due to EU legislation
COUNCILLORS today said they were between a rock and a hard place to consult taxi drivers about moving them off their rank off in Wisbech – because of new EU legislation. As we exclusively revealed, Fenland District Council is looking at plans to create
Story by: TOM JACKSON
COUNCILLORS today said they were "between a rock and a hard place" to consult taxi drivers about moving them off their rank off in Wisbech - because of new EU legislation.
As we exclusively revealed, Fenland District Council is looking at plans to create a new taxi rank alongside The Case pub.
The council's licensing committee agreed to start consultations about the plans, but the meeting revealed that an EU statutory group raised fears of buses being unable to safely reverse out of stations with limited room.
You may also want to watch:
As a result, the council has been forced to find alternative spaces for ranks.
Kim Winterton, the council's licensing regulatory officer, told councillors the proposed site - currently a car park for The Case - is the "last piece of land we own close to the bus station".
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 3 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 4 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 5 100 mile charity walk inspired by mum's breast cancer recovery
- 6 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies
- 7 Room to improve as villagers fail to cope with rampant visitors
- 8 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 9 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 10 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
When asked to agree the consultation, Councillor Philip Hatton said: "I don't think we have got any choice."
Councillor Carol Cox added: "We are between a rock and a hard place."
But Cllr Cox described the current location of the taxi rank is "convenient and helpful".
She said: "You can come out of the supermarket, or you can jump off a bus from an outlying town, straight into a taxi. It is the most sensible place for them to be and taxis would be lost completely near The Case.
• Tell Tom what you think by clicking here.