Colleagues pay tribute to woman killed today on a Fenland road she was crossing to get to work
By Andrew Thompson COLLEAGUES of a woman who died in a tragic road accident today while trying to get to work said it was a really sad day for the staff . Bronislava Ilgiene, 57, was crossing the road on the A142 near the Junction of Dock Road, Chatteris
By Andrew Thompson
COLLEAGUES of a woman who died in a tragic road accident today while trying to get to work said it was "a really sad day for the staff".
Bronislava Ilgiene, 57, was crossing the road on the A142 near the Junction of Dock Road, Chatteris when she was in collision with a Ford Fiesta.
It was the second fatal accident within five days on local roads following the death of a 20 year old cyclist last Friday night.
You may also want to watch:
Kris Dellaway died after he was in a collision with a car in Wimblington Road, March, shortly before 11.30pm on Friday.
Workers at Rustler Produce, Chatteris, the factory where Mrs Ilgiene was working, said they were shocked and saddened by her death.
- 1 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 2 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 3 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 4 Overgrown ditch ‘hasn’t been maintained for at least eight years’
- 5 'Bed-bound, my body felt exasperated' - reporter shares battle with Covid-19
- 6 Town council says market is operating safely and within Covid-19 guidelines
- 7 Body of missing Wisbech man found in Norfolk
- 8 Ditch crash victim seriously injured
- 9 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
Later they laid flowers by the scene of the fatal accident to pay tribute to their friend, who was employed by a recruitment agency on the onion packing lines.
Operations director Andrew Holding said her death had been all the more difficult because some of her relatives worked on the same site.
He said: "It is an extremely sad day at Rustler. The company's deepest sympathies go out to all her friends and family."
Mr Holding added that she had been a good worker who was well regarded by other members of staff.
Ms Ilgiene had worked regularly at Rustler for about a year after being contracted through Peterborough agency One Call Recruitment.
Andrew Chittock, director of the agency, said: "We are deeply saddened that one of our staff has had this tragic accident. We are shocked about what has happened."
The incident happened at 5.45am.
The A142 was shut at the junction with New Road until 9am as the police cleared away the incident and started their investigations.
Traffic backed up through Chatteris as the Highways Agency put up diversion routes while the road was closed.
No further details have been released so far about what happened.