Colleagues pay tribute to woman killed today on a Fenland road she was crossing to get to work
By Andrew Thompson COLLEAGUES of a woman who died in a tragic road accident today while trying to get to work said it was a really sad day for the staff . Bronislava Ilgiene, 57, was crossing the road on the A142 near the Junction of Dock Road, Chatteris
By Andrew Thompson
COLLEAGUES of a woman who died in a tragic road accident today while trying to get to work said it was "a really sad day for the staff".
Bronislava Ilgiene, 57, was crossing the road on the A142 near the Junction of Dock Road, Chatteris when she was in collision with a Ford Fiesta.
It was the second fatal accident within five days on local roads following the death of a 20 year old cyclist last Friday night.
You may also want to watch:
Kris Dellaway died after he was in a collision with a car in Wimblington Road, March, shortly before 11.30pm on Friday.
Workers at Rustler Produce, Chatteris, the factory where Mrs Ilgiene was working, said they were shocked and saddened by her death.
- 1 So that's settled - Government not council will fund new school
- 2 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 New era begins at table tennis club rescued from the brink
- 5 Author reflects on reasons behind 'The Chapel of Ease'
- 6 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 7 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 8 Family friends to cycle from Wales to Wisbech to create more happy memories
- 9 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 10 Emporium takes business to next level
Later they laid flowers by the scene of the fatal accident to pay tribute to their friend, who was employed by a recruitment agency on the onion packing lines.
Operations director Andrew Holding said her death had been all the more difficult because some of her relatives worked on the same site.
He said: "It is an extremely sad day at Rustler. The company's deepest sympathies go out to all her friends and family."
Mr Holding added that she had been a good worker who was well regarded by other members of staff.
Ms Ilgiene had worked regularly at Rustler for about a year after being contracted through Peterborough agency One Call Recruitment.
Andrew Chittock, director of the agency, said: "We are deeply saddened that one of our staff has had this tragic accident. We are shocked about what has happened."
The incident happened at 5.45am.
The A142 was shut at the junction with New Road until 9am as the police cleared away the incident and started their investigations.
Traffic backed up through Chatteris as the Highways Agency put up diversion routes while the road was closed.
No further details have been released so far about what happened.