Club goes out with a donation
ONE of the last remaining firemen s social clubs has closed down and donated its funds to charity. Wisbech Fire Station Social Club was founded 25 years ago and organised dances, children s parties and trips for members. There was also a clubroom with bar
ONE of the last remaining firemen's social clubs has closed down and donated its funds to charity.
Wisbech Fire Station Social Club was founded 25 years ago and organised dances, children's parties and trips for members. There was also a clubroom with bar on fire station premises.
But times have changed and the club was finding it harder to attract members.
"We were struggling to keep our heads above water", said a spokesman. "It is sad because social clubs were a tradition in the fire service but now no one has got the time to organise anything."
You may also want to watch:
Money in the club account, about £2,500, was donated to three charities. The Fire Service benevolent fund received just over £500 and the local Crossroads (Caring for Carers) and the Children's Burns Camp each received £1,000.
- 1 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 2 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 3 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 4 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 5 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 6 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 7 Bungling burglar confronted wearing stolen clothes
- 8 Rainbow alliance hoping to bring sunshine to the Fens
- 9 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 10 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed