Club goes out with a donation
ONE of the last remaining firemen s social clubs has closed down and donated its funds to charity. Wisbech Fire Station Social Club was founded 25 years ago and organised dances, children s parties and trips for members. There was also a clubroom with bar
ONE of the last remaining firemen's social clubs has closed down and donated its funds to charity.
Wisbech Fire Station Social Club was founded 25 years ago and organised dances, children's parties and trips for members. There was also a clubroom with bar on fire station premises.
But times have changed and the club was finding it harder to attract members.
"We were struggling to keep our heads above water", said a spokesman. "It is sad because social clubs were a tradition in the fire service but now no one has got the time to organise anything."
You may also want to watch:
Money in the club account, about £2,500, was donated to three charities. The Fire Service benevolent fund received just over £500 and the local Crossroads (Caring for Carers) and the Children's Burns Camp each received £1,000.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 3 Man assaults police officer whilst in possession of drugs on E-Bike
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 8 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?