Shop Local: Christmas displays are up earlier than ever at Fox’s Cards
- Credit: Archant
Julian Fox, from Fox’s Cards, is following the rest of the retail sector and already has his Christmas items on display.
Julian Fox points at the Christmas card display opposite the counter he sits at in Fox’s Cards on the Market Place.
He said: “We’ve never put up the Christmas displays this early before.
“But everyone is jumping on it this year, so we have to. I guess it’s because nobody knows what’s around the corner any more.
“As you can see, we have plenty of cards in the display but we’re struggling to completely fill the area because our suppliers can’t seem to get anything to us.”
You may also want to watch:
Fox’s Cards has been part of Wisbech for 53 years.
Julian’s mother set up the first shop in Norwich Road, and moved to Norfolk Street and then onto Church Street.
- 1 Businessman slams council’s coronavirus grants in explosive live rant
- 2 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 3 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 4 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 5 Fleeing heroin dealer rams police car but they get him in the end
- 6 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 7 Fly-tipped sofa second reported incident this week
- 8 Hairdressing student is best of 1,000 after winning national competition
- 9 'Police repeatedly failed me' over noisy neighbour saga, claims resident
- 10 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
He said: “We’ve been on the Market Place for 20-odd years. Large national chains have come and gone in that time, but we’re still here.”
He added: “And I love being part of Wisbech, been here all my life. If one or two things got sorted out then the town would be all right.”
Julian went on to explain that the cards available in Fox’s cards are much more specific than those stocked by other retailers.
He said: “For example, a national retailer will stock a birthday card for a 10-year-old grandson.
“Whereas we would also have that card for a 10-year-old great-grandson.
“It may seem a small difference, but it goes a long way if you’re a great grandparent.”
As well as changes in retail trends, Julian has noticed he hasn’t seen many customers who rely on public transport.
He said: “Older people definitely aren’t coming out so much at the moment.
“When they do, they seem very nervy which I understand.
“You can’t blame them. They’re being told to avoid going out or use public transport.
“I used to see a lot from Parsons Drove - but I don’t see many of them anymore.
“It’s such a shame because they’re all part of the community around here.”
While the country was in lockdown, Julian used the opportunity to look into refreshing the business’ website.
He said: “Even as an independent, we have to change the way we work and covid made us consider that.”
Fox’s Cards and Picture Framing is at 6, Market Place, Wisbech. Its new website is coming soon.
•If you are an independent trader and would like to be featured in our Shop Local campaign, email firstname.lastname@example.org.