CHRISTCHURCH: Armed robbers steal large sum of cash from village post office.
ARMED robbers struck at Christchurch Post Office late yesterday and stole a substantial amount of cash. The robbery happened shortly before 5pm. The robbers were wearing black balaclavas and dark clothing, and one of the men was carrying what was describe
ARMED robbers struck at Christchurch Post Office late yesterday and stole a substantial amount of cash.
The robbery happened shortly before 5pm. The robbers were wearing black balaclavas and dark clothing, and one of the men was carrying what was described as a hand gun.
One of the men entered the Church Road shop while his accomplice waited outside, and demanded the female member of staff hand over money from a safe and the cash till.
Both left the scene in a vehicle after the money was handed over. There were no customers in the shop at the time of the robbery and the member of staff was not injured.
Det Insp Richard Ryan, who is investigating, said: "A substantial amount of money was stolen in this robbery and I am keen to catch those responsible.
"I am looking for anyone who saw it take place or any people acting suspiciously in the area beforehand.
- 1 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 2 Lorry breaks down on A47 near Wisbech
- 3 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 4 Eye burglar smashed doors with brick and stole jewellery and chocolate
- 5 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 Megan realises netball dream ahead of Commonwealth Games bow
- 8 Ferry Project charity to host job fair in Wisbech
- 9 ‘Sudden death’ reported at Nene and Ramnoth School in Wisbech
- 10 Man admits west Norfolk arson
"This is a rare occurrence for a village like Christchurch and I am confident someone must have seen something unusual in the area."
Christchurch Post Office was one of four post offices in Fenland that will close, as part of Post Office Ltd's nationwide closure scheme. A total of 2,500 post offices will be closed.
CONTACT: Police on 0845 456 4564 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.