Children set to take over former Wisbech community pub
A ONCE popular community pub in Wisbech is set to discover a new lease of life - as a day care centre for up to 76 children.
First Steps Child Care of Walton Highway hopes to convert the former Elgood’s pub, the Bowling Green in Lynn Road, into a day nursery and out of school club.
The child care group say they will employ up to 12 people at the former pub, which closed in February, and say they are well established in Downham Market and believe Wisbech is the ideal place to expand.
In their application to Fenland District Council the child care group says early talks with planners “in general terms appear favourable” and they believe their proposals fit well with the local authority’s own plans for regeneration of the area.
“The proposal will interface with the proposed predominantly high density resident redevelopment, providing a much needed service which will aid employment,” says First Steps.
“It accords with the proposed mixed variety of uses for the area.”
They also claim it will not detract from the street scene “and does not adversely affect the commercial area of the town.”
- 1 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
- 2 Child shot in face by BB gun bought at summer festival
- 3 Hunt is on for arsonists after 5am car fire
- 4 Man fined £300 after being linked to fly-tipping
- 5 Man jealous of ex-wife's new relationship burnt down house
- 6 Critically endangered birds thrown a lifeline thanks to five-year project
- 7 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
- 8 Hospital staff pressures takes its toll on emergency care, inspectors find
- 9 Mayor in heated clash with East Cambs Council leader
- 10 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
Only minor external changes are planned involving a surfaced play area with play equipment which will be screened from the road.
The application, unless it raises major planning issues, is likely to be determined by council officials.