Children set to take over former Wisbech community pub
A ONCE popular community pub in Wisbech is set to discover a new lease of life - as a day care centre for up to 76 children.
First Steps Child Care of Walton Highway hopes to convert the former Elgood’s pub, the Bowling Green in Lynn Road, into a day nursery and out of school club.
The child care group say they will employ up to 12 people at the former pub, which closed in February, and say they are well established in Downham Market and believe Wisbech is the ideal place to expand.
In their application to Fenland District Council the child care group says early talks with planners “in general terms appear favourable” and they believe their proposals fit well with the local authority’s own plans for regeneration of the area.
“The proposal will interface with the proposed predominantly high density resident redevelopment, providing a much needed service which will aid employment,” says First Steps.
You may also want to watch:
“It accords with the proposed mixed variety of uses for the area.”
They also claim it will not detract from the street scene “and does not adversely affect the commercial area of the town.”
- 1 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 2 'It could happen to anyone' - girlfriend of drowning victim speaks out
- 3 Replacing pub with houses ‘effective re-use' of site
- 4 Fenland Council welcomes Covid-19 compliant free rock festival
- 5 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 6 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 7 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 8 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 9 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 10 7 places to avoid the crowds in Cambs this summer
Only minor external changes are planned involving a surfaced play area with play equipment which will be screened from the road.
The application, unless it raises major planning issues, is likely to be determined by council officials.