Children set to take over former Wisbech community pub
A ONCE popular community pub in Wisbech is set to discover a new lease of life - as a day care centre for up to 76 children.
First Steps Child Care of Walton Highway hopes to convert the former Elgood’s pub, the Bowling Green in Lynn Road, into a day nursery and out of school club.
The child care group say they will employ up to 12 people at the former pub, which closed in February, and say they are well established in Downham Market and believe Wisbech is the ideal place to expand.
In their application to Fenland District Council the child care group says early talks with planners “in general terms appear favourable” and they believe their proposals fit well with the local authority’s own plans for regeneration of the area.
“The proposal will interface with the proposed predominantly high density resident redevelopment, providing a much needed service which will aid employment,” says First Steps.
You may also want to watch:
“It accords with the proposed mixed variety of uses for the area.”
They also claim it will not detract from the street scene “and does not adversely affect the commercial area of the town.”
- 1 Woman threatened for not wearing mask describes fear for safety
- 2 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 3 Man in critical condition after single-vehicle crash
- 4 'Software error' blamed for town council election mix up
- 5 Five fire crews called to building blaze
- 6 Podcast revisits the mysterious missing case of Terry McSpadden
- 7 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 8 Heated dining pod and covered decking area at restaurant after garden makeover
- 9 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 10 Octavia Hill’s Birthplace House gets share of £1.57billion fund
Only minor external changes are planned involving a surfaced play area with play equipment which will be screened from the road.
The application, unless it raises major planning issues, is likely to be determined by council officials.