Children evacuated from Wisbech school after fire

PUBLISHED: 10:22 17 June 2010 | UPDATED: 10:22 17 June 2010

CHILDREN had to be evacuated from a school after an accidental fire broke out.

A fluorescent light fitting at Elm Road Primary School in Wisbech overheated and started to smoke on Wednesday (June 18) afternoon.

A member of staff raised the alarm before pupils were evacuated from the building.

Crews from Wisbech isolated the electrical supply and removed the light fitting before returning to base at 3.30pm.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Wisbech Standard. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Wisbech Standard