Cheque presentation at Guyhirn coffee shop in memory of two bikers
- Credit: Archant
A family-run Guyhirn coffee shop that raised £950 in memory of two bikers who tragically died just weeks apart - held a cheque presentation with their families.
The Coffee Tree Xperience, on the A47 Thorney Road, was shocked to hear that Mat Bilby and Michael Howard had both died in separate crashes on August 22 and September 6 2018.
The bikers, both in their 40s, who were regulars at The Coffee Tree Xperience, had played a big part in the cafes weekly Wednesday bike nights which run from April to October.
More than 200 people from across the country attended the tribute evening on October 3 when a disco, food and tombola were held at the café.
The money raised was split between the two families of Mat and Michael, with one half going to Macmillan Cancer Support.
Tamara Bennett, daughter of Michael, attended the presentation alongside Adele Wright from the Wisbech Macmillan Support Group.
Tamara felt that her father would have been proud of her decision especially as the money will go towards helping local people and the Peterborough Macmillan centre based at Peterborough hospital where staff fought to save his life.
- 1 Crowds watch as Wisbech lights up for Christmas
- 2 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 3 Council’s final meeting of 2021 to include minute’s silence for those lost
- 4 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 5 Check before you travel ahead of major upgrade, commuters warned
- 6 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 7 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 8 Ex-wife of killer Colin Hill shares rape ordeal more than 30 years on
- 9 New £566k convenience store opens creating 12 jobs
- 10 Health chiefs call for action amid rise in sexually transmitted infections
Jo Goude, director of The Coffee Tree Xperience, said: “It went really well and both families came for the presentation.
“It was nice way to pay tribute and say thank you for the fundraising efforts of everyone.”
Winston and Clem the fundraising gorillas also donned supportive t-shirts.
The presentation took place on November 30.
The Coffee Tree Xperience will continue to raise money for Macmillan during 2019.