Cheque for over £1,000 presented to Trafford Ward, North Cambs Hopsital, by Wisbech Business and Professional Men’s Club at Mendi’s meeting
- Credit: Archant
Michael Bates welcomed 30 members and guests to his first meeting as chairman of the Wisbech Business and Professional Men’s Club at Mendi’s last week.
During the evening Richard Wilson, a past chairman, presented a cheque for £1,617 to Wendy Gill and Sandra Dade representing Trafford Ward, North Cambs Hospital.
Mr Bates then introduced the regional co-ordinator of the Alzheimer’s Charity, who told members about the work carried out both nationally and locally to help people with this illness.
He was then thanked for choosing the charity during his year of office.
Mr Bates then introduced Gordon Smith, a well known historian and author of Wisbech Town Football Club who gave a detailed talk on Wisbech Town in the FA Cup over many years.
You may also want to watch:
He was thanked by club member Terry Hawkins.
Future speakers booked for this year include Toby Wood, a professional poet, and Jay McGee, an ex leader singer of the Rockin Berries, Dave Boy Green, Professor Lloyd Peck, an Antarctic exployer, and Steve Daley, an ex England and Manchester City footballer.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 7 Take 10 initiative leaves students ‘buzzing’ about literacy
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 10 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
The next meeting will be held on Wednesday March 9 at Mendis, Wisbech.