Chatteris boxer Dave Boy Green gives talk at Wisbech group’s meeting
- Credit: Archant
Around 40 members and guests were welcomed at Mendis Wisbech by Michael Bates, chairman of the Wisbech Business & Professional Men’s Club at their July meeting.
The guest speaker for the evening was Dave Boy Green, known locally as the Fen Tiger.
Peter Dennis said: “Dave gave an entertaining talk on his life as a professional boxer. He had in total 41 fights gaining 37 wins of which 29 were in the distance. He was managed by Andy Smith who was also his mentor.
“Dave was European champion twice and fought two world title fights losing to, in his opinion the best fighter he ever fought, Sugar Ray Leonard, who had the hardest punch of all fighters in his career.
“After leaving the sport Dave became chairman of a successful packing company. He is retired but spends a lot of time opening fetes, talking to children and raising money for charity - for which he was presented with an MBE.”
You may also want to watch:
He was thanked by Terry Hawkings on behalf of the club.
Mike Bucknor was also inducted as a new member of the club and presented with his badge, tie and members handbook.
- 1 'Sorry for any delay' but we're getting there says vaccine rollout manager
- 2 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
- 3 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 4 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 5 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 6 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 7 Hammers and knives, drug driving and Covid-19 breaches lead to arrests
- 8 Shoplifter jailed after stealing goods worth £1,600
- 9 Teacher’s 1,000 press-ups charity challenge in friend's memory
- 10 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
The next meeting takes place on Wednesday August 10 when the guest speaker will be David Johnson, a freelance filmmaker and script writer.