Chatteris boxer Dave Boy Green gives talk at Wisbech group’s meeting
- Credit: Archant
Around 40 members and guests were welcomed at Mendis Wisbech by Michael Bates, chairman of the Wisbech Business & Professional Men’s Club at their July meeting.
The guest speaker for the evening was Dave Boy Green, known locally as the Fen Tiger.
Peter Dennis said: “Dave gave an entertaining talk on his life as a professional boxer. He had in total 41 fights gaining 37 wins of which 29 were in the distance. He was managed by Andy Smith who was also his mentor.
“Dave was European champion twice and fought two world title fights losing to, in his opinion the best fighter he ever fought, Sugar Ray Leonard, who had the hardest punch of all fighters in his career.
“After leaving the sport Dave became chairman of a successful packing company. He is retired but spends a lot of time opening fetes, talking to children and raising money for charity - for which he was presented with an MBE.”
You may also want to watch:
He was thanked by Terry Hawkings on behalf of the club.
Mike Bucknor was also inducted as a new member of the club and presented with his badge, tie and members handbook.
- 1 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 2 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 3 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 4 Showcase status for Academy
- 5 47-home estate 'beggars belief' says councillor
- 6 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
- 7 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 8 ‘From street dog to show champion’ - how Toby rescued his family
- 9 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 10 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
The next meeting takes place on Wednesday August 10 when the guest speaker will be David Johnson, a freelance filmmaker and script writer.