Cat rescued from burning flat in Wisbech as ‘accidental blaze’ rips through upper-floor at Weston Miller Drive
- Credit: Supplied/CambsFRS
A cat was rescued from after a blaze ripped through a first floor flat in Wisbech.
Firefighters were called to Weston Miller Drive, at around 4am on Sunday after fire broke out on the balcony of a flat.
"One cat was rescued from the flat by firefighters and given oxygen therapy," said a spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service.
We arrived to find a balcony of a first floor flat well alight and smoke issuing from the roof space.
"Wearing breathing apparatus, firefighters used a jet and two hose reels to extinguish the fire before returning to their stations by 10.30am."
Crews tackled the blaze, working through the morning to douse the flames for more than six hours before it was brought under control.
Pictures from the scene show a police officer and firefighter helping the cat which was saved from the fire just moments before.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 Man in his 20s dies after crash in west Norfolk
- 3 Tribute to ‘much-loved’ school worker who died suddenly in Wisbech
- 4 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 6 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
- 7 ‘Sudden death’ reported at Nene and Ramnoth School in Wisbech
- 8 Met Office forecast for Cambridgeshire after weekend of mixed weather
- 9 Recap: A47 shut near Wisbech and King's Lynn after evening crash
- 10 Man arrested after 'game of hide and seek' with police dogs and helicopter
The spokesman added: "The incident was later re-inspected and the cause was accidental."