Cat rescued from burning flat in Wisbech as ‘accidental blaze’ rips through upper-floor at Weston Miller Drive
- Credit: Supplied/CambsFRS
A cat was rescued from after a blaze ripped through a first floor flat in Wisbech.
Firefighters were called to Weston Miller Drive, at around 4am on Sunday after fire broke out on the balcony of a flat.
"One cat was rescued from the flat by firefighters and given oxygen therapy," said a spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service.
We arrived to find a balcony of a first floor flat well alight and smoke issuing from the roof space.
"Wearing breathing apparatus, firefighters used a jet and two hose reels to extinguish the fire before returning to their stations by 10.30am."
You may also want to watch:
Crews tackled the blaze, working through the morning to douse the flames for more than six hours before it was brought under control.
Pictures from the scene show a police officer and firefighter helping the cat which was saved from the fire just moments before.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 7 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 8 Take 10 initiative leaves students ‘buzzing’ about literacy
- 9 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
The spokesman added: "The incident was later re-inspected and the cause was accidental."