Cat rescued from burning flat in Wisbech as ‘accidental blaze’ rips through upper-floor at Weston Miller Drive
A cat was rescued from after a blaze ripped through a first floor flat in Wisbech.
Firefighters were called to Weston Miller Drive, at around 4am on Sunday after fire broke out on the balcony of a flat.
"One cat was rescued from the flat by firefighters and given oxygen therapy," said a spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service.
We arrived to find a balcony of a first floor flat well alight and smoke issuing from the roof space.
You may also want to watch:
"Wearing breathing apparatus, firefighters used a jet and two hose reels to extinguish the fire before returning to their stations by 10.30am."
Crews tackled the blaze, working through the morning to douse the flames for more than six hours before it was brought under control.
Pictures from the scene show a police officer and firefighter helping the cat which was saved from the fire just moments before.
The spokesman added: "The incident was later re-inspected and the cause was accidental."
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Wisbech Standard. Click the link in the orange box below for details.