Caravans that set up temporary home outside Oasis Centre, Wisbech, ‘gone soon’ residents assured
- Credit: Archant
Residents say they have been assured that a make shift caravan site set up next to the Oasis Centre in Wisbech will be gone by the beginning of the week.
However the assurances failed to placate some residents who took to social media to express their disquiet.
The caravans – that appear to have come from Eastern Europe with most displaying European number plates- are parked on land owned by Cambridgeshire County Council.
“Why have police not moved them on?” one person posted to a social media site.
Another said she had been told the caravans would be gone by the end of today.
You may also want to watch:
“Can’t they pay £26 a night for a camp site like I have to?” queried another.
A local councillor pointed out that the police did not have the powers to move them on.
- 1 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 2 Replacing pub with houses ‘effective re-use' of site
- 3 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 4 Tesco staff self-isolate after being ‘pinged’ by track and trace
- 5 Mayor fumes over ‘amateur’ foster carers claim
- 6 7 places to avoid the crowds in Cambs this summer
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 8 'It could happen to anyone' - girlfriend of drowning victim speaks out
- 9 Firefighters left tackling 'deliberate' car blaze for over an hour
- 10 Family of man who died at quarry plead with people not to swim
“In this particular case they have had no loud music, don’t put rubbish around and have cleared up the mess parents leave in the Orchards car park every day,” the councillor wrote.
“This has been a blessing for the Oasis staff that usually has to do it every day. “Gone in a few days time.”
However another argued that “if we stop on a lay-by when we travel on holidays, police stop and move us on. Should I just say no then – I’m not moving? “
The local councillor said they police had been to speak to the caravan owners and denied reports of cars being seen racing and.
“Everyone I spoke to Wednesday evening had not had any problems,” said the councillor