Car left abandoned after crashing into Clough’s Cross Bridge at Parson Drove - just two weeks after woman was rescued from river
- Credit: Archant
A vehicle that is thought to have been stolen was left abandoned near Parson Drove this morning after it crashed into Clough’s Cross Bridge.
It comes just two weeks after a woman had to be rescued when her car careered through protective railings around the same bridge.
Steve Jones, who rescued the woman and witnessed this morning’s crash, said: “It happened this morning at 2.30am in the rain.
“The car struck a perturbing bollard on the bridge; these bollards are not marked or painted so they pose a great risk as the bridge is narrow.”
A police spokesman said of this morning’s crash: “We were called to the incident at around 2am to find a silver Vauxhall Corsa crashed into Clough Cross Bridge near Parson Drove.
You may also want to watch:
“The car had been abandoned and there was no sign of the motorist.
“Officers contacted the registered owner and it seems like the vehicle had been stolen.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 3 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 4 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 5 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 6 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 7 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 8 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies
- 9 100 mile charity walk inspired by mum's breast cancer recovery
- 10 Room to improve as villagers fail to cope with rampant visitors
“There was minimal damage to the bridge – just a few scrapes.
“Anyone with information should call police on 101.”