Wisbech & District Camera Club – where membership once cost just 12p – celebrates 70th birthday
- Credit: Supplied/WDCC
A Fenland camera club – where a yearly membership once cost 12p – is celebrating its 70th birthday since launching in 1950.
The Wisbech & District Camera Club began in January 1950 and the first annual meeting was held on the 30th with eight members in attendance.
At the first meeting, the president and vice president were both asked to make donations of £2.20 and £1.10 - members were also asked to pay 3p when attending meetings.
The latest meeting saw members receive a commemorative mug with the famous Ansel Adams quote "You don't take a photograph, you make it".
A spokesman said: "In 1950 it [the club] started with eight members and now has 25.
You may also want to watch:
"David Hodgson has mentioned to all of our members the history information, including our first annual exhibition at the library in Peckover House."
Members decided, at the 70th annual meeting, they will move from the Wisbech football club to the sports community centre in Wisbech St Mary on February 3.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 3 Man assaults police officer whilst in possession of drugs on E-Bike
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 8 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 Watches and electric display box stolen in village burglary