Wisbech & District Camera Club – where membership once cost just 12p – celebrates 70th birthday
- Credit: Supplied/WDCC
A Fenland camera club – where a yearly membership once cost 12p – is celebrating its 70th birthday since launching in 1950.
The Wisbech & District Camera Club began in January 1950 and the first annual meeting was held on the 30th with eight members in attendance.
At the first meeting, the president and vice president were both asked to make donations of £2.20 and £1.10 - members were also asked to pay 3p when attending meetings.
The latest meeting saw members receive a commemorative mug with the famous Ansel Adams quote "You don't take a photograph, you make it".
A spokesman said: "In 1950 it [the club] started with eight members and now has 25.
You may also want to watch:
"David Hodgson has mentioned to all of our members the history information, including our first annual exhibition at the library in Peckover House."
Members decided, at the 70th annual meeting, they will move from the Wisbech football club to the sports community centre in Wisbech St Mary on February 3.
- 1 Tory jubilation short-lived in Fenland as they lose control of county council
- 2 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 3 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 4 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 5 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 6 Man on the run after stealing e-scooter from child
- 7 New independent funeral service opens in Wisbech
- 8 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 9 Food delivery service Deliveroo launches in ‘next couple of months’
- 10 Tories retain two Wisbech seats for county council