CAMBS: Local councils quick to reassure there will be no changes in concessionary bus passes
LOCAL councils are moving quickly to reassure residents in response to calls from the public about concessionary bus passes in Cambridgeshire. Following reports in the national media, many people who qualify for free travel have become concerned that they
LOCAL councils are moving quickly to reassure residents in response to calls from the public about concessionary bus passes in Cambridgeshire.
Following reports in the national media, many people who qualify for free travel have become concerned that they will no longer be able to go free on park and ride services in Cambridge or longer journeys.
So councils in Cambridgeshire have this week moved to reassure residents who qualify for the pass that arrangements in Cambridgeshire won't be changing.
Councillor Matt Bradney, Cabinet member for Transport at Cambridgeshire County Council, said: "We have received a lot of calls over the last 24 hours from people who are very concerned that either they no longer qualify for free travel or they won't be able to use some services.
"I can confirm that in Cambridgeshire nothing will change as of the 1st April.
"This means bus passengers with a pass will still be able to get on local services whether they be park and rides or picking up your local bus to town. We understand that some people are also concerned about travelling over longer distances with companies such as National Express.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'lovely' teenager as police continue murder probe
- 2 New dessert shop bids to become 'best in the area'
- 3 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 4 Family's tribute to 'son in a million' killed in motorbike crash
- 5 Detectives given longer to question Downham Market murder suspects
- 6 Murder probe sends 'shockwaves' through community
- 7 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 8 £4,000 raised for Natalie to live her dreams after cancer diagnosis
- 9 Two escape unhurt after car plunges into river
- 10 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
"As these services have never been included in the local Cambridgeshire scheme we would advise passengers to contact the operator directly before travel to find out the level of concession available."
If anyone would like further information regarding concessionary bus passes please contact: 01223 715588.