CAMBS: Archdeacon completes 483 mile charity cycle ride to visit all his churches
THE Archdeacon of Huntingdon and Wisbech, the Ven Hugh McCurdy, has completed a 483 mile charity cycle ride during which he visited every church in his Archdeaconry. Hugh McCurdy, a keen cyclist, decided to combine his ecclesiastical duties with a keep
THE Archdeacon of Huntingdon and Wisbech, the Ven Hugh McCurdy, has completed a 483 mile charity cycle ride during which he visited every church in his Archdeaconry.
Hugh McCurdy, a keen cyclist, decided to combine his ecclesiastical duties with a keep-fit fundraising challenge. As Archdeacon, he is responsible for the care of clergy and church communities in the north and west of Ely diocese - an area that covers North Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire and West Norfolk.
During his 13-day trek, he stopped at all 181 churches where local people turned out to greet him and join him in prayer.
"It was a wonderful experience and a great privilege to meet and pray with so many enthusiastic volunteers," said Archdeacon McCurdy after completing his cycle ride. "It's good to finish, and I'm feeling physically much fitter."
You may also want to watch:
He has already raised over �1,000 from sponsorship and aims to break the �4,000 barrier.
The money will go to Five Talents which supports micro-finance initiatives in developing countries and the local Norfolk and Cambridgeshire Historic Churches Trusts which give financial help towards church repairs.
- 1 Loved by royalty, Wisbech museum gets life saving £616,000 grant
- 2 The Chase contestant from Cambs labelled ‘most stunning’ in show’s history
- 3 Thieves conspired to steal over £1million worth of high-end luxury cars
- 4 ‘It needs to get sorted’ - heartfelt plea after flood nightmare
- 5 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 6 Man jailed for trying to arrange sexual abuse of girls and woman
- 7 Driver peers out of Range Rover while trying to cross flooded Welney Wash
- 8 Wisbech salvage firm eyes five acre site to expand
- 9 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 10 Clean, green and affordable: choose market leader Nissan to start your electric motoring journey
wHugh McCurdy's fundraising initiative is part of the 900th anniversary celebrations taking place in the Diocese this year.