Cambridgeshire Chief Constable praises Fenland police officers at annual awards

POLICE officers, staff and members of the public were praised for their achievements at the Chief Constable s Annual Awards Ceremony.

POLICE officers, staff and members of the public were praised for their achievements at the Chief Constable's Annual Awards Ceremony.

The ceremony, which included awards to officers from Fenland, saw the presentation of Chief Constable's Commendations and Judges' Commendations.

Long service awards, retirement certificates and Royal Humane Society Awards were also handed out.

Chief Constable's Commendations

Det Chief Insp Melanie Dales and Kay Elmy.

IN 2008, DCI Dales was asked to develop a Sexual Assault Referral Centre for Cambridgeshire and Peterborough to ensure that victims of rape receive the very best service.

Most Read

Kay works for the Peterborough Primary Care Trust and is responsible for managing and developing a complete sexual health service for Peterborough.

Together they have successfully established the centre, which is the first of its kind in East Anglia. It is crucial to helping vulnerable people cope with the trauma of their experience.

"The Chief Constable commends them for their leadership, professionalism and commitment to victims of rape," said the nomination.

Chief Supt John Raine, Det Chief Insp Jim McCrorie, Det Insp Deborah Howard, Det Constable Kevin Beaumont.

The officers are all commended for the role they played in the investigation which resulted in the conviction in November last year of Olusola Akinrele of Whittlesey for the murder of his baby daughter and Kelly Inman for 'allowing' the death of her child.

In December 2006, Leeya Akinrele was admitted to hospital after collapsing at her home. Leeya died on December 30 and the subsequent post mortem revealed multiple injuries. A long and complex investigation ensued with Chief Supt Raine as the senior investigating officer and DCI McCrorie as his deputy.

Prosecuting Counsel Yvonne Coen wrote to the Chief Constable: "I write to pay tribute to this excellent team.......this case is noteworthy not just for the numerous legal and evidential difficulties we have together encountered and overcome, but also from the tremendous and dedicated support that I have enjoyed from these first rate officers."

Sgt Gareth Williams and Pc Sean Redman.

THE officers are commended for their professionalism during an investigation into a single vehicle crash in October 2008 on the A141 at March which killed Kevin Raftery. Mr Raftery's brother, Mark, the only other person in the vehicle, survived.

Throughout the investigation Mark Raftery tried to avoid taking responsibility for being the driver at the time of the collision.

However, when confronted with forensic evidence he entered a guilty plea. In January he was jailed for five years for causing the death of his brother by dangerous driving, whilst having consumed excess alcohol, and driving whilst disqualified. PC Redman was the family liaison officer in the case.

Judges' Commendations.

Pc Andy Morris.

PC Morris was off duty and driving home when he stopped to investigate a commotion outside a house in Park Road, Ramsey. There was great concern for a three year old girl who had fallen over, hit her face against a brick wall and burst a blood vessel in her nose. She had also bitten through her lip and was choking on a piece of brick that had lodged in her throat. PC Morris gave first aid until the arrival of an ambulance.

The girl's parents believe she would not be alive today had it not been for Andy's rapid response. She has now made a full recovery, with only slight scarring to her lip.

Royal Humane Society Award

Sgt Christian O'Brien, Pc Nigel Duffield, Pc Andrew Harcupp-Rudd, Pc Christopher Goodman and Pc Philip Nicholls.

THIS award recognises outstanding bravery and dedication to duty in tragic circumstances.

In February 2008, police received a call that a car had left the road and entered the Sixteen Foot Bank, near to Bedlam Bridge outside of March. Prior to police arrival two members of the public had entered the water to save the female driver and had again entered the water to try to save the driver's little girl, who was still trapped inside.

By the time the rescue was in full swing, the light was failing, there was no street lighting and a strong crosswind.

PC Harcupp-Rudd was the first officer on the scene. Despite not being a strong swimmer, he was preparing to enter the water when PC Duffield arrived at the scene. A throw rope was tied around PC Duffield who then entered the water and attempted to force entry to the car. Due to the extreme cold, he could not remain in the water very long and decided to tie the throw rope onto the car in a bid to haul it closer to the bank. Sergeant O'Brien arrived and using another throw rope entered the water.

He swam in, attached the second rope to the car and continued across to the opposite bank. The fire service arrived and the fire car was dragged to the bank.

The officers rescued the girl from the vehicle and passed her up the steep sides of the bank to the fire crews and ambulance staff at the road above them. PCs Goodman and Nicholls acted as bankside safety officers, anchoring the two officers in the water until they were safely out.

Sadly, attempts to save the life of nine year-old Charlotte Walker were unsuccessful and she later died.