Cadets help with alcohol test purchasing operation in Wisbech as ten stores refuse to sell to them
- Credit: Archant
Ten Cambridgeshire Police Cadets carried out test purchasing at 12 off licences in Wisbech – with ten of the stores refusing to sell to the teens.
The operation took place yesterday evening (June 20), with the cadets, aged between 14 and 17, tasked with visiting the shops to test whether they would be served alcohol.
They were given strict instructions as to what they must do, including not lying about their age or not trying to persuade the shop assistant to allow the sale if they are initially refused.
PC Rhian Jones said: “These operations are carried out across the year to ensure licenced establishments are adhering to the law around the sale of age-restricted items, however yesterday’s activity was prompted by some concerns reported to us about alcohol sales to young people.
“The cadets did a brilliant job last night and I’m pleased to say that ten out of the 12 stores passed the test and refused our cadets the sale of alcohol.”
You may also want to watch:
Interviews will be carried out with the staff who failed the tests at the two stores and a referral will be made to the district licensing team to revisit them at a later date.
PC Jones added: “The stores who passed will receive a letter from us and their success will be passed to the licensing authority.”
- 1 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
- 2 Frightened cancer patient with Covid relieved as hospital extend stay
- 3 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 4 The Queen Elizabeth Hospital launches Covid-19 patient helpline
- 5 Man charged with drink driving, possession of a knife and cannabis
- 6 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 7 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 8 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 9 Shoplifter jailed after stealing goods worth £1,600
- 10 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide