Sisters aged 21 and 20 take over running of Petworld in Wisbech
TWO young sisters with a passion for animals have taken over the day-to-day running of a Wisbech pet shop.
Emily Clifton, 21, and her sister Larissa, 20, are the new faces at Petworld in Lynn Road, which reopened for business on July 1 alongside sister company Pondworld Aquatics.
Both stores were destroyed by a fire in May last year, after arsonists torched nearby wheelie bins.
The sisters, from Walpole Highway, ran Petworld from a wooden shack for their first five weeks in charge but have now moved into their newly-rebuilt shop next to Pondworld.
Emily said: “Our dad is friends with Stephen Neccer, who owns Pondworld and Petworld. Stephen’s sister ran Petworld previously, but they have now gone into partnership.
You may also want to watch:
“We were both in jobs at the time - I was a shop assistant and Larissa worked at a vets in Ely - but we felt we would dive in and go for it.”
The shop will specialise in equestrian equipment because Emily used to showjump.
- 1 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 2 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 3 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 4 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 5 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 6 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 7 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 8 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies
- 9 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 10 100 mile charity walk inspired by mum's breast cancer recovery
“I used to ride for someone professional,” said Emily. “I rode every weekend and travelled around the country for events. I don’t jump as much as I used to, but I still jump whenever I can.”
The shop also has a number of pet birds for sale including parrots, budgerigars and cockatiels, alongside mice, hamsters, rabbits, guinea pigs, chinchillas and a wide range of pet supplies.
• Petworld is open seven days a week from 9am-5.30pm.