Sisters aged 21 and 20 take over running of Petworld in Wisbech
TWO young sisters with a passion for animals have taken over the day-to-day running of a Wisbech pet shop.
Emily Clifton, 21, and her sister Larissa, 20, are the new faces at Petworld in Lynn Road, which reopened for business on July 1 alongside sister company Pondworld Aquatics.
Both stores were destroyed by a fire in May last year, after arsonists torched nearby wheelie bins.
The sisters, from Walpole Highway, ran Petworld from a wooden shack for their first five weeks in charge but have now moved into their newly-rebuilt shop next to Pondworld.
Emily said: “Our dad is friends with Stephen Neccer, who owns Pondworld and Petworld. Stephen’s sister ran Petworld previously, but they have now gone into partnership.
You may also want to watch:
“We were both in jobs at the time - I was a shop assistant and Larissa worked at a vets in Ely - but we felt we would dive in and go for it.”
The shop will specialise in equestrian equipment because Emily used to showjump.
- 1 'Sorry for any delay' but we're getting there says vaccine rollout manager
- 2 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
- 3 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 4 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 5 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 6 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 7 Teacher’s 1,000 press-ups charity challenge in friend's memory
- 8 We want to end the season now, states Fenmen chairman
- 9 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 10 Hammers and knives, drug driving and Covid-19 breaches lead to arrests
“I used to ride for someone professional,” said Emily. “I rode every weekend and travelled around the country for events. I don’t jump as much as I used to, but I still jump whenever I can.”
The shop also has a number of pet birds for sale including parrots, budgerigars and cockatiels, alongside mice, hamsters, rabbits, guinea pigs, chinchillas and a wide range of pet supplies.
• Petworld is open seven days a week from 9am-5.30pm.