Family funeral directors moving into Wisbech and breathes new life into house
- Credit: Archant
An 18th century, regency Gothic building in Wisbech, is to be brought back into use, after being vacant for over 20 years.
Flint House, 67 Lynn Road, Wisbech, has been granted change of use, to local family funeral directors, A J Coggles, of King’s Lynn and Downham Market, to create a funeral home, with offices and chapels of rest.
The building was originally purchased by Smedley Canning Company in 1924 and it is understood the Smedley family lived in there until World War Two, after which it became offices up until the mid 1990s.
In 1951 it became a grade II listed building. Some of its arched windows are said to have come from Sandringham House, when part was demolished.
The family business of A J Coggles was established in 1851, the Coggles family have served the community through five generations, presently with offices in King’s Lynn and Downham Market.
You may also want to watch:
The business is currently headed by John Coggles with the help of his children, David, Helen and George.
Flint House will now undergo conversion to create up to date facilities for use as a funeral directors and should be ready in November this year.
- 1 Woman threatened for not wearing mask describes fear for safety
- 2 Man in critical condition after single-vehicle crash
- 3 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 4 'Software error' blamed for town council election mix up
- 5 Podcast revisits the mysterious missing case of Terry McSpadden
- 6 Five fire crews called to building blaze
- 7 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 8 110-year-old church gates reappear following £400 makeover
- 9 Heated dining pod and covered decking area at restaurant after garden makeover
- 10 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months