Businesses in Wisbech reaping benefit of free health checks
- Credit: Archant
Businesses in Wisbech are backing a mobile service where employees across Fenland can get free health checks at their workplace.
Workers at Ketts Auto Paints, Priden Engineering and Mec-a-tec limited have taken part with about 80 appointments being booked in the service’s first week.
Coronary heart disease in Fenland is at 4.1 per cent, compared to Cambridgeshire’s three per cent average.
The mobile service, which is accompanied by the Camquit stop smoking service, is provided by Cambridgeshire County Council with the support of partners including Fenland District Council.
Val Thomas, consultant in Public Health at Cambridgeshire County Council, said: “The mobile health check service can visit all sorts of different workplaces including supermarkets, factories and businesses on industrial estates.
You may also want to watch:
“The added advantage of being mobile is it provides a space to do the checks on board if a workplace does not have suitable room.
“We’ve had an amazing response from employers and staff and I’d like to thank them for inviting us. In particular, I’d like to thank Brian Ketts of Ketts Auto Paints for helping us get the balling rolling in Wisbech.”
- 1 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her
- 2 A fiver for a photographic tour of historic Wisbech
- 3 Table tennis club 'bitterly disappointed' to be told to move
- 4 'A crash waiting to happen' say police
- 5 Flytippers target same Fenland road two days in a row
- 6 'Harassment' forces village speedwatch team to close
- 7 New ditch to relieve flood issues 'more challenging than expected'
- 8 Cafe to shut for good after eight years
- 9 Van overturns after striking Ely’s infamous ‘most bashed bridge’
- 10 ‘Shift well spent!’: Fen Cops target illegal motorists in day of action
Stuart Warren, one of the owners of Priden Engineering in Wisbech, added: “The mobile health checks service is a brilliant scheme.
“I had a heart attack a few years ago and I wish these checks had been available then.
“It might have flagged up a problem and been the wake up call I needed to change my diet and my lifestyle.
“The service is free and the response from our staff speaks for itself – all the available appointments were booked.”
If you would like the mobile service to visit your business, e-mail email@example.com