Businesses in Wisbech reaping benefit of free health checks
- Credit: Archant
Businesses in Wisbech are backing a mobile service where employees across Fenland can get free health checks at their workplace.
Workers at Ketts Auto Paints, Priden Engineering and Mec-a-tec limited have taken part with about 80 appointments being booked in the service’s first week.
Coronary heart disease in Fenland is at 4.1 per cent, compared to Cambridgeshire’s three per cent average.
The mobile service, which is accompanied by the Camquit stop smoking service, is provided by Cambridgeshire County Council with the support of partners including Fenland District Council.
Val Thomas, consultant in Public Health at Cambridgeshire County Council, said: “The mobile health check service can visit all sorts of different workplaces including supermarkets, factories and businesses on industrial estates.
You may also want to watch:
“The added advantage of being mobile is it provides a space to do the checks on board if a workplace does not have suitable room.
“We’ve had an amazing response from employers and staff and I’d like to thank them for inviting us. In particular, I’d like to thank Brian Ketts of Ketts Auto Paints for helping us get the balling rolling in Wisbech.”
- 1 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 2 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
- 3 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 4 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 5 A141 closed after motorcycle crash
- 6 Watch the moment E-scooter rider, 16, narrowly misses crashing into bus
- 7 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 8 Body found in Wisbech road
- 9 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 10 Bomb scare was a 'hoax' say police
Stuart Warren, one of the owners of Priden Engineering in Wisbech, added: “The mobile health checks service is a brilliant scheme.
“I had a heart attack a few years ago and I wish these checks had been available then.
“It might have flagged up a problem and been the wake up call I needed to change my diet and my lifestyle.
“The service is free and the response from our staff speaks for itself – all the available appointments were booked.”
If you would like the mobile service to visit your business, e-mail email@example.com