Smart card business Burall InfoSmart in Wisbech to close with five redundancies at the end of this month
- Credit: Archant
A smart card manufacturer in Wisbech will make five staff made redundant when it closes at the end of this week.
Burall InfoSmart, based at Venture House, confirmed that work will be transferred to Hull-based Paragon ID who took over the company in 2017.
The move comes as bosses say they need to “consolidate overhead costs in what is an increasingly price sensitive market faced with unprecedented uncertainty”.
Since 1988 Burall InfoSmart Ltd has manufactured and personalised magnetic cards, tickets, contact and contactless smartcards and tags.
Arron Duddin, smart solutions director, said: “Given that the Wisbech sites will be closing and the operations will be moving to Hull it has not been possible to relocate all staff members across the business.
You may also want to watch:
“However, we have worked closely with the staff to ensure minimal impact to the business and themselves and nearly 50 per cent of the work force is being retained.
“This means only five redundancies will be made and the retained staff will either be relocating to Hull or working remotely moving forward.”
- 1 Missing dog found thanks to drone footage
- 2 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 3 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 4 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 5 HMO plans submitted for village pub
- 6 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 7 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 8 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 9 Burnouts, revving engines and upset shoppers lead to dispersal order
- 10 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
In 2008 Burrall InfoSmart became fully independent of former Burall Group before being taken over by BBP two years ago.
Burall InfoSmart was a desendant of Burall Brothers Ltd, dating back to 1887.