Smart card business Burall InfoSmart in Wisbech to close with five redundancies at the end of this month
- Credit: Archant
A smart card manufacturer in Wisbech will make five staff made redundant when it closes at the end of this week.
Burall InfoSmart, based at Venture House, confirmed that work will be transferred to Hull-based Paragon ID who took over the company in 2017.
The move comes as bosses say they need to “consolidate overhead costs in what is an increasingly price sensitive market faced with unprecedented uncertainty”.
Since 1988 Burall InfoSmart Ltd has manufactured and personalised magnetic cards, tickets, contact and contactless smartcards and tags.
Arron Duddin, smart solutions director, said: “Given that the Wisbech sites will be closing and the operations will be moving to Hull it has not been possible to relocate all staff members across the business.
“However, we have worked closely with the staff to ensure minimal impact to the business and themselves and nearly 50 per cent of the work force is being retained.
“This means only five redundancies will be made and the retained staff will either be relocating to Hull or working remotely moving forward.”
- 1 Arsonist started fire in Wisbech care home
- 2 Council calls for return to mask wearing as Covid soars
- 3 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 4 Elderly man scares off would-be burglar
- 5 Smiles return as bridge re-painting comes to an end
- 6 Armed police swoop on youngsters brandishing suspected hand gun
- 7 Rikki Neave’s mother calls for tougher sentence for son’s murderer
- 8 Steve Barclay becomes Health Secretary following shock resignations
- 9 Woman, 80, dies following A141 crash
- 10 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
In 2008 Burrall InfoSmart became fully independent of former Burall Group before being taken over by BBP two years ago.
Burall InfoSmart was a desendant of Burall Brothers Ltd, dating back to 1887.