Department store Beales of Wisbech collapses into administration
- Credit: Google Maps
Department store Beales of Wisbech has collapsed into administration.
It was announced that KPMG had been appointed as administrators after failing to find a buyer or new investment for the business.
There will be no immediate closures and Beales stores across Cambridgeshire and Peterborough will continue to trade.
Beales had tried to secure rent reductions with landlords and was in negotiations with potential investors and buyers.
In the year to March 2019, Beale Ltd reported a loss of £3.1m, up from £1.3m for the year earlier as costs swelled and sales dipped.
You may also want to watch:
KPMG's Will Wright, who is the joint administrator to Beales, said: "With the impact of high rents and rates exacerbated by disappointing trading over the Christmas period, and extensive discussions around additional investment proving unsuccessful, there were no other available options but to place the company into administration.
"Over the coming weeks, we will endeavour to continue to operate all stores as a going concern while we assess options for the business, including dealing with prospective interested parties."
- 1 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
- 2 'I lived in the woods' - Suspected murder victim reveals five year ordeal
- 3 Cafe boss throws hat in the ring for county election
- 4 Shotgun, fake cash and cannabis found at suspected dealer’s home
- 5 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 6 Five year mystery of what happened to modern day slavery victim
- 7 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 8 Urgent repairs at Wisbech Museum due to start
- 9 Council road sweeper vehicle involved in collision with car
- 10 Civic business as usual for under fire Wisbech mayor
He said added that during this period gift vouchers, customer deposits and customer returns/refunds will continue to be honoured.