Department store Beales of Wisbech collapses into administration
- Credit: Google Maps
Department store Beales of Wisbech has collapsed into administration.
It was announced that KPMG had been appointed as administrators after failing to find a buyer or new investment for the business.
There will be no immediate closures and Beales stores across Cambridgeshire and Peterborough will continue to trade.
Beales had tried to secure rent reductions with landlords and was in negotiations with potential investors and buyers.
In the year to March 2019, Beale Ltd reported a loss of £3.1m, up from £1.3m for the year earlier as costs swelled and sales dipped.
You may also want to watch:
KPMG's Will Wright, who is the joint administrator to Beales, said: "With the impact of high rents and rates exacerbated by disappointing trading over the Christmas period, and extensive discussions around additional investment proving unsuccessful, there were no other available options but to place the company into administration.
"Over the coming weeks, we will endeavour to continue to operate all stores as a going concern while we assess options for the business, including dealing with prospective interested parties."
- 1 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
- 2 Frightened cancer patient with Covid relieved as hospital extend stay
- 3 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 4 The Queen Elizabeth Hospital launches Covid-19 patient helpline
- 5 Man charged with drink driving, possession of a knife and cannabis
- 6 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 7 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 8 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 9 Shoplifter jailed after stealing goods worth £1,600
- 10 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
He said added that during this period gift vouchers, customer deposits and customer returns/refunds will continue to be honoured.