Department store Beales of Wisbech collapses into administration
- Credit: Google Maps
Department store Beales of Wisbech has collapsed into administration.
It was announced that KPMG had been appointed as administrators after failing to find a buyer or new investment for the business.
There will be no immediate closures and Beales stores across Cambridgeshire and Peterborough will continue to trade.
Beales had tried to secure rent reductions with landlords and was in negotiations with potential investors and buyers.
In the year to March 2019, Beale Ltd reported a loss of £3.1m, up from £1.3m for the year earlier as costs swelled and sales dipped.
KPMG's Will Wright, who is the joint administrator to Beales, said: "With the impact of high rents and rates exacerbated by disappointing trading over the Christmas period, and extensive discussions around additional investment proving unsuccessful, there were no other available options but to place the company into administration.
"Over the coming weeks, we will endeavour to continue to operate all stores as a going concern while we assess options for the business, including dealing with prospective interested parties."
- 1 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 2 'Wide range of people' will benefit from village homes, say developers
- 3 Woman in court over town pub burglary
- 4 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 5 Princess hears first hand account of modern slavery
- 6 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 7 Rachael takes bronze at national hairdressing competition
- 8 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 9 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 10 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
He said added that during this period gift vouchers, customer deposits and customer returns/refunds will continue to be honoured.