Arsonists enter warehouse and set light to tyres
- Credit: Google
Arsonists set fire to a warehouse containing tyres in Wisbech in the early hours of today.
Fire crews from Long Sutton joined those from Wisbech to tackle the blaze.
A fire service spokesperson described the blaze as “well-developed” when firefighters arrived.
The blaze was in a warehouse on the former Delamore site in Sutton Road which won consent at the end of 2019 for 220 houses.
The fire service was called today at 12.03am and the spokesperson said the blaze was spreading to nearby hedges when they got there.
You may also want to watch:
"They extinguished the fire using hose reels and a jet and returned to their stations by 2.15am,” said the spokesperson, confirming it was arson.
Anyone with information should contact Cambridgeshire police by visiting: https://www.cambs.police.uk/ or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
- 1 Emporium takes business to next level
- 2 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 3 Man found dead in March
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 Family friends to cycle from Wales to Wisbech to create more happy memories
- 7 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 8 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 9 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 10 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
A neighbour said: “Thankfully someone called the fire brigade whilst many of us were asleep.”
Residents say it is the latest in a series of incidents at the site which became vacant when Delamore moved.
They say the site is regularly used by youngsters and others “who have turned it into a speedway track and race motorbikes most days”.
Another neighbour said: “The property is now the property from hell to me and has turned a decent area into something else!”
"I have been here since it was a kid – now I just want to move away.”