BUDGET VERDICT: MP Malcolm Moss delivers scathing attack on Chancellor Alistair Darling
MP MALCOLM Moss claims Alistair Darling delivered a dishonest budget The MP for NE Cambs said: . From today, Britain s families are facing higher taxes to pay for Labour s Debt Crisis. After a decade of economic mistakes, Gordon Brown is saddling this
MP MALCOLM Moss claims Alistair Darling delivered "a dishonest budget"
The MP for NE Cambs said: ". From today, Britain's families are facing higher taxes to pay for Labour's Debt Crisis.
"After a decade of economic mistakes, Gordon Brown is saddling this country with over �1 trillion of debt. Britain cannot afford another five years of Labour.
"The Budget revealed tax rises of �1000 on every family in Britain; tax rises on everyone earning over �19,000; tax rises on all new jobs; higher taxes for motorists and responsible drinkers."
Mr Moss added: "This Budget is dishonest at best and I am deeply concerned. Public borrowing is going through the roof and landing our children's generation with huge debt.
"The growth rates predicted by the Chancellor are highly optimistic and this Budget is clearly more about getting re-elected than anything else. Most worryingly, there appears to be no long term strategy to get the country out of the economic mess we are in."
- 1 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 2 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 3 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 4 Two escape unhurt after car plunges into river
- 5 Café holds 'heavy heart' as it announces closure
- 6 Tributes paid to 'lovely' teenager as police continue murder probe
- 7 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
- 8 Murder probe sends 'shockwaves' through community
- 9 Cigarette butt in stolen car puts burglar behind bars
- 10 Murder suspects continue to be quizzed as detectives seek CCTV
"If the Conservatives had given this Budget, we would have got a grip on government spending, and used the savings from cutting waste to introduce real help now for families and pensioners:
"Freezing council tax for two years, worth over �200 for the typical family
"Abolishing income tax on savings for all basic rate taxpayers, worth up to �7,200 a year
"Raising the income tax threshold for pensioners, worth up to �400 a year
"Conservatives will tackle Labour's Debt Crisis and deliver economic change for Britain.