Brian Granger, who has taught thousands to drive over 55 years, is hanging up his keys for good this Easter
- Credit: Archant
Remember when £1 would get you a driving test, or when one gallon of petrol would set you back just five shillings?
Brian Granger recalls those days better than most, having taught more than 6,500 people to drive over the last 55 years.
After more than five decades running the Brian Granger Elm School of Motoring, the 77-year-old is hanging up his keys for good this Easter.
“My family have been getting on at me since Christmas and I’ve given in,” he said.
“If I don’t retire soon I’ll be dead before I pack up work.”
Brian became a driving instructor when he quit his job as a shoe shop manager in Thetford in 1963 after his neighbour asked if he was interested in a career change.
“I’ve stuck at it ever since,” said Brian, who moved to Wisbech in 1967.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'lovely' teenager as police continue murder probe
- 2 New dessert shop bids to become 'best in the area'
- 3 Family's tribute to 'son in a million' killed in motorbike crash
- 4 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 5 Detectives given longer to question Downham Market murder suspects
- 6 Murder probe sends 'shockwaves' through community
- 7 £4,000 raised for Natalie to live her dreams after cancer diagnosis
- 8 Two escape unhurt after car plunges into river
- 9 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 10 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
“I just enjoy it, I love doing the job and I feel proud that I’ve been doing it for so long,” he added.
“I don’t think many more people will stick at it for that long.”
Brian’s daughter even set up a Facebook page in honour of him: The Elm School of Motoring - Brian Granger Appreciation Society.
He remembers the first car he used in Wisbech was an Austin 1100 that he brought for £700. Since then, he’s driven 30 cars during his time as an instructor.
Brian has a wife, Gillian, three children, Mark, Jane and Clair, and five grandchildren, William, Edward, Abbie, Matthew and Alex.