Birthday drink ends in assault
ANGRY that drunken Helen Juby had failed to pull up her trousers after a visit to the loo, Christopher Syrett attacked her with judo punches, leaving her face black and blue. He got on top of her when she fell to the floor — then took a breather and had a
ANGRY that drunken Helen Juby had failed to pull up her trousers after a visit to the loo, Christopher Syrett attacked her with judo punches, leaving her face black and blue.
He got on top of her when she fell to the floor - then took a breather and had a cigarette before starting the onslaught again, delivering more punches.
Photos of Miss Juby's horrific injuries were handed in to Fenland magistrates, showing her two black eyes and bruised face. Prosecuting, John Goodier said the attack happened at an address in Sefton Avenue, Wisbech, on the afternoon on June 30. Miss Juby had treated herself to a bottle of Bacardi rum because it was her birthday the next day. She drank three-quarters of the bottle before visiting next door, and drank some more.
"She had been to the toilet and had not pulled up her trousers properly," said Mr Goodier, "her trousers were partially down when she returned, Gary Syrett pulled her back inside.
"He stood in front of her with a clenched right fist, and punched her in the face with full force. He said she should not be out with her trousers down, and that is why he gave her the hiding."
Miss Juby told police she had been unable to defend herself. "I realise I have a problem with drink, but I do not deserve to be beaten," she added.
- 1 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 2 New £566k convenience store opens creating 12 jobs
- 3 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 4 Family's tribute to 'much-loved' and 'fun-loving' A1198 crash victim
- 5 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 6 Clinical Diss left singing in the rain as Saints rue positive display
- 7 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 8 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 9 You hope for a silver lining - and this wondrous tree is it
- 10 Convenience store transformed thanks to £116k facelift
Syrett, who has previous convictions for grievous bodily harm, arson and threats to kill, told police that the bottom half of Miss Juby was naked, and he was worried she was exposing herself.
He hit her four times, saying he had a short temper, and stopped to have a cigarette, and got on top of her to restrain her.
Syrett, 29, of Mill Close, Wisbech, admitted assault causing actual bodily harm and was committed for sentence at Cambridge Crown Court.