Billy gets a taste of life in Finland as part of a four week study trip organised by College of West Anglia
- Credit: Archant
Apprentice plumber Billy Smith of Outwell has returned from a four-week study trip to Finland organised by the College of West Anglia (CWA).
The 22-year-old, who works for Lovell in King’s Lynn, learned new skills at a local college and during a work placement with a Finnish plumbing firm.
He was one of six CWA students taking part in the exchange visit.
Trainee plumber Billy is part of the Lovell team working on the large-scale housing regeneration programme which the firm is carrying out for Freebridge Community Housing at Hillington Square.
Billy was based in Kouvola in south-east Finland, around 80 miles from Helsinki.
You may also want to watch:
“Overall it was a really good life experience, and I enjoyed working with so many different people – and in a different language,” he said.
“We had some basic phrases to start us off and I picked up some of the language while I was there,” says Billy. “Kouvola is a nice place, laidback and small and I made some good friends.”
- 1 Woman threatened for not wearing mask describes fear for safety
- 2 Man in critical condition after single-vehicle crash
- 3 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 4 'Software error' blamed for town council election mix up
- 5 Podcast revisits the mysterious missing case of Terry McSpadden
- 6 Five fire crews called to building blaze
- 7 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 8 110-year-old church gates reappear following £400 makeover
- 9 Heated dining pod and covered decking area at restaurant after garden makeover
- 10 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
Billy is now in the third year of his four-year apprenticeship with Lovell, and is mainly based on the Hillington Square project. He studies part-time at the College of West Anglia and expects to finish his advanced NVQ Level 3 plumbing qualification next summer.
Dermott Brennan, programme manager for Construction at the College of West Anglia said: “Billy has a very positive attitude towards his work and gets on with everybody. He is a real pleasure to teach.
“Students are encouraged to partake in trips and events that enhance their learning and life experience and boost their chance of employability.
“This Finland visit is one of many overseas trips that have taken place over the last academic year.”