Biker died after hitting lamppost
AN experienced motorcyclist from Wisbech died after the bike he was riding veered into a kerb and collided with a lamppost. Alan Hartigan, 60, of Park Avenue, Wisbech died from multiple injuries on June 10 at Addenbrooke s Hospital after his Triumph moto
AN experienced motorcyclist from Wisbech died after the bike he was riding veered into a kerb and collided with a lamppost.
Alan Hartigan, 60, of Park Avenue, Wisbech died from multiple injuries on June 10 at Addenbrooke's Hospital after his Triumph motorcycle left the A1096 Gallery Hill slip road at St Ives and hit a kerb.
His wife Marion and son Matthew had been travelling in convoy from the family home in Wisbech to Bourn Airfield in Cambridge when the accident took place.
It is thought Mr Hartigan, who was an engineer in Wisbech, had braked heavily minutes prior to the accident causing the rear wheel of the bike to lock and the back of the bike to slip towards the kerb. He was thrown from the bike and into a lampost.
You may also want to watch:
At Mr Hartigan's inquest on Thursday (October 5) at Godwin House in Huntingdon, Coroner Dr Colin Lattimore said: "It is a puzzle why he braked when he did as he had no reason to brake. He was travelling at about 30mph, it was clear and dry driving conditions, there was no surface pollution, no other vehicles involved and he was a fit and healthy man."
In recording a verdict of accidental death, Dr Lattimore, added: "Although we know what happened we do not know why it happened. I'm afraid we are no further with an explanation.
- 1 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 3 Tory jubilation short-lived in Fenland as they lose control of county council
- 4 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 5 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 6 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 7 Food delivery service Deliveroo launches in ‘next couple of months’
- 8 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 9 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 10 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid