Wisbech couple win award for their fund raising for the Macular Society
- Credit: Archant
A couple from Wisbech, who have raised vital funds for the Macular Society have won one of the leading sight loss charity’s top national awards.
Ben and Sarah Dodkin are joint winners at this year’s Macular Society awards for excellence.
The pair, both 33, have secured the top prize in the chairman’s award for fundraising category by raising almost £10,000 since 2016 when their son, Finley, was diagnosed with a juvenile dystrophy.
Since then, the pair have been involved in a wide range of fundraising activities for the charity, with friends and family joining in at every opportunity to boost their efforts.
Sarah arranged raffles and an auction night, while her parents completed the Peddars Way 50-mile walk.
You may also want to watch:
Ben also donned his running shoes, taking part in the Great North Run, while his aunt organised a race night and an Easter Sunday Bike Ride.
Sarah said: “Although we knew we’d been nominated, it was a real shock when we were told that we’d won – we couldn’t quite believe it.
- 1 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 2 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 3 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 4 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 5 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 6 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 7 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 8 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 9 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 10 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
“The Macular Society is a lovely, caring charity and everyone has always made us feel at ease and valued, so we’re really honoured to have been chosen.”
Ben said: “Our friends and family are very excited; all of the fundraising has been a real team effort, so it’s a great reward for everyone involved. It’s all been a bit overwhelming, but we do feel very privileged and I’m sure we’ll be doing something together as a team to celebrate.
“Sarah and I are looking forward to attending the ceremony to receive our award – it’s going to be a really special day.”
Now in its 10th year, the Macular Society Awards for Excellence is run by the charity to celebrate the inspirational work done to provide services and care for people with macular disease all over the UK.
Cathy Yelf, chief executive of the Macular Society, said: “The work of all our fundraisers is absolutely vital. The money that they raise is crucial in enabling us to support people who currently have macular degeneration. It also helps finance scientific research into macular disease,
“Ben and Sarah’s fundraising efforts really have been inspirational. They truly deserve this award.”