Beaupre Under Five’s Centre in Wisbech faces Ofsted closure threat
STAFF at a popular nursery have launched a campaign to raise thousands of pounds and revamp its play area to save their centre from potential closure.
Beaupre Under Fives Centre in Outwell got a thumbs up from Ofsted inspectors last year, who praised staffs’ relationship with children and parents as outstanding.
But inspectors were less than impressed with the centre’s play facilities and called for improvements.
Staff have launched a campaign to raise �5,000 for new fencing and play equipment - and the next event is a charity auction on Friday July 16.
Caroline Rae, deputy head of childcare practice at the centre, said: “If we don’t raise this money, we will have to close.
“If we lost the nursery, it would be huge. Emneth nursery is a little far away from us and there is very little in the surrounding villages.
“If we shut after 25 years of being here, there will be no place for child care in this area.”
- 1 Smiles return as bridge re-painting comes to an end
- 2 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 3 Armed police swoop on youngsters brandishing suspected hand gun
- 4 Woman, 80, dies following A141 crash
- 5 'Rubberneckers' cause second crash trying to view overturned lorry
- 6 Developer going flat out to convert former post office
- 7 Rikki Neave’s mother calls for tougher sentence for son’s murderer
- 8 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 9 Have you seen Harry Gibson? He's wanted by police
- 10 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
Beaupre Under Five’s Centre provides care for up to 26 children. At its last inspection in October last year it was rated as good overall, with its safeguarding of children and communication with parents deemed to be exceptional.
The report also told to nursery to “put planning to improve the exterior area and availability of shelter into effect as soon as possible” to give kids “greater opportunity to acquire skills outdoors across all areas of learning”.
Items available at the auction, taking place at Beaupre Primary School, include a Match of the Day script signed by presenter Gary Lineker, EastEnders cast autographs and a year’s free gym membership. More items are needed.
n To donate an item for the auction, contact Ms Ray on 01945 774152.
The current outdoor play area at Beaupre Under Five’s Centre. 3237PU610
Youngsters in the current play area, which will be revamped through the fundraising campaign. 3238PU610
Picture: PETER UPTON