Breast cancer survivor on why weight loss 'saved my life'
- Credit: SLIMMING WORLD
A breast cancer survivor from Wisbech has dropped eight dress sizes and lost nearly 11 stone in five years.
Avril Rapley joined the Wisbech Slimming World group in 2015, having gained weight following a stage 3 breast cancer diagnosis and six months of chemotherapy plus radium.
She said: “I knew I had to change my lifestyle and, being hormone-related, my oncologist advised losing weight.
“They did this as fat produces oestrogen and, the more oestrogen you have, the more chance of my cancer returning.”
With those words at the back of her mind ever since, Avril says that joining Slimming World has “certainly saved my life, because I want to be around for as long as possible.”
You may also want to watch:
Having lost 10 stone 10lb and reached her target weight in Christmas 2019, and kept it off since, Avril says she enjoys exercising, especially walking.
“I never sit still,” she said; “my feet no longer give me pain - even when I walked 26 miles doing ‘the Shine’ for charity”.
- 1 Pub car park approved despite 13 residents' noise concerns
- 2 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 3 Pub demolition decision deferred
- 4 Customers report summerhouse builder to fraud investigators
- 5 Medieval pottery unearthed at Cambs campsite
- 6 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 7 Charity wins national award for its outstanding service
- 8 MP and mayor meet businesses in incinerator fight
- 9 Councillors praised for 'tireless' illegal encampment work
- 10 Pioneering boat will make Norfolk coast more accessible
Avril added that her husband and family are pleased with the weight loss, too, as they would previously worry about her health.
The Wisbech Slimming World group that Avril attends are run by Tina, whose groups are held on Mondays AM and PM at The Queen Mary Centre.
Call 07798 894639 for more information.