Armed Forces Day to be celebrated in Wisbech with special event on market place
VETERANS from all three services will gather in Wisbech Market Place on Sunday to celebrate Armed Forces Day.
It will be an opportunity for the veterans, some whose service for our country was as far back as the Second World War and others right up to date with service in Iraq and Afghanistan, to meet old friends and reminisce with tales of their deeds.
Ray Hutchinson of the Wisbech RAF Association, said: “The gathering will be an important part of the Wisbech Armed Forces Day Celebrations happening in the Market Place.”
From 10 am there will be stalls from ex service organisations, which will display their current activities. The local cadet groups will also have their own stalls and they will display their various activities as well as offering a chance to those interested to join them.
There will be military vehicles on display, which will give visitors the chance to experience the conditions that some of the veterans endured during their service as well as a display from the Fenland Aviation Museum. The vintage fire engine “Vivian” will be on show and will surely bring happy childhood memories to many visitors. Refreshments and drinks will be available. A competition to make the best paper aeroplane will run throughout the day.
You may also want to watch:
The celebrations will begin at 1pm with the raising of the Armed Forces Day flag. This will be followed at 2pm by a march past by the cadet organisations, when all the veterans present will be asked to stand and take the salute. The flag will be lowered at a sunset ceremony at 3pm.
All local veterans are invited to take part and are requested to wear their Veterans Badge so that they are easily identifiable. Any donations received during the day will be divided equally between the Benevolent Funds of all three services
- 1 Ditch crash victim seriously injured
- 2 Minor injury unit closes to allow staff to respond to crisis in the community
- 3 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 4 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
- 5 'Big red key' used by cops in dawn raid on suspected drug dealers
- 6 Man, 39, convicted of assault on two HMRC officers by beating
- 7 60 care home residents and staff vaccinated
- 8 Body of missing Wisbech man found in Norfolk
- 9 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 10 New owners of town centre store under fire for flats plan
Further information can be obtained from Ray or Jan Hutchinson on 01945 584595