Father of six named as victim of Wisbech collision - appeal launched by family friend to support his family
- Credit: Archant
Dad Ben Johnson died instantly on the school run back to his home – on the day he and his partner were to celebrate their daughter Danielle’s second birthday.
Mr Johnson was a passenger in a car that was involved in a collision in Outwell Road, Wisbech, with a tractor.
The driver, a woman and her young son, received only minor injuries.
A family friend has now launched a GoFundMe appeal to support Mr Johnson's partner Ashleigh and their six children.
The appeal was launched by Ashleigh's god mother Karen Murdoch in the aftermath of Mr Johnson's death.
You may also want to watch:
"Ben was a lovely man, loving partner and more than anything - a wonderful loving father, who adored his children," said Karen.
She said that Ben had been a 'stay at home' dad looking after the couple's six children whilst Ashleigh went out to work. After Christmas, though, he'd been planning to join a friend in a construction business.
- 1 Body found in Wisbech road
- 2 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 3 Mayor opens Wisbech community hub
- 4 Top Cabinet post for NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay
- 5 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 6 Did you bite your husband's leg? ‘No, he knocked all my teeth out- I could not bite his leg’
- 7 Co-op grocery delivery robots are coming to Cambridgeshire
- 8 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 9 Man confronted in live stream cleared of all sex abuse allegations
- 10 Crash driver four and a half times over drink drive limit
"I know it seems melodramatic but Ashleigh was planning their wedding next year, nothing grand, but instead has to plan for a funeral," she said.
Ben and Ashleigh had five children from previous relationships: Lexii, 8, Kenzi 7, Kalvin, 6, Henley, 5, and Neve, 3.
Karen said that Ben had dropped off two of the children at school and was travelling home in the rain with a family friend and her son when the collision happened.
"Her little boy was behind Ben; the impact on Ben saved the little boy's life," she said.
"The reason I am asking for help is that Ben has left behind his fiancée (Ashleigh, 24) and six children and they are not entitled to any help.
"We need to move Ashleigh and the children closer to us in order for us to support her raising the children who have now been left without a father and Ashleigh without her much loved partner."
Karen said: "All money raised will go towards, relocation costs, new clothes and furniture for the children and settling bills."
*A tractor driver arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving has been released under investigation by Norfolk Police .
The man, in his 50s has been released under police investigation.