Alisa Dmitrijeva: Suspects named for first time at inquest into death of Wisbech srtudent whose remains were found on Royal Estate at Sandringham

PUBLISHED: 17:26 15 September 2014 | UPDATED: 17:26 15 September 2014

Alisa Dmitrijeva's grandmother Lydija Nesterova and mother Anzela Dmitrijeva arrive at King's Lynn County Court. Picture: Ian Burt

Alisa Dmitrijeva's grandmother Lydija Nesterova and mother Anzela Dmitrijeva arrive at King's Lynn County Court. Picture: Ian Burt

Archant © 2014

Two men who were arrested in connection with the death of a Latvian student were named for the first time at an inquest into her death.

Verdict, reaction

Assistant Coroner David Osbourne said: “This is a tragic, sad and troubling case. Alisa Dmitrijeva was reported as a missing person in early September 2011. Tragically her body was found decomposed in a remote area of woodland on the Sandringham Estate on 1 January 2012.

“It is likely her body had been there for one to four months. Unfortunately it has not been possible to determine a cause of death or whether Alisa died at the scene or elsewhere. The circumstance in which Alisa was found indicates third party involvement, that is to say she was deliberately placed there.”

Mr Osbourne offered his sincere condolences to Alisa’s family on such a “highly distressing loss, in tragic and difficult circumstances.”

Outside court, Alisa’s grandmother Lidija Nesterova said: “I do not understand the CPS who made the decision not to proceed with the case - even though everyone is astonished with the amount of evidence.”

Robertas Lukosius, 34 and Lauras Boiko, 30, both lived in Wisbech when Alisa Dmitrijeva, 17, went missing in the late summer of 2011.

They were were called to give evidence before Norfolk’s assistant coroner, at King’s Lynn County Court, but could not be contacted because their whereabouts are now unknown.

Alisa was last seen in the Friars area of King’s Lynn, in August 2011. her badly-decomposed body was found on the Royal Estate, beside a shooting covert between Sandringham and Anmer, on New Year’s Day, 2012.

Details of the police investigation into her death emerged for the first time. Detectives made repeated appeals to trace a bottle green Lexus car, in which they believe Alisa of Railway Road, Wisbech, travelled to a beach party at Snettisham.

Alisa Dmitrijeva, whose body was found on the Royal Estate in January 2012.Alisa Dmitrijeva, whose body was found on the Royal Estate in January 2012.

In a statement taken after he was arrested on suspicion of kidnap and murder, in May 2012, Lukosius said he had owned the Lexus for six weeks. he said he had previously met Alisa to buy cannabis and had dropped her off at an Asda on August 31, 2011.

Boiko said they dropped her off at the supermarket and that was the last he saw of her. He described as “friendly and talkative.

But Det Con Jeremy Pitt told the court that the men “lied” about dropping Alisa off at the supermarket. He said that Boiko’s wife was arrested for peversing the course of justice after it was proved she was not telling the truth about what time he came home.

He said that phone records proved that Alisa was at Snettisham beach on August 31, before being taken to where her body was found.

Det Con Pitt added a taxi driver took the men from the beach to the local petrol station to fill up a can and drove them back to the same location.

He said: “Fibres found in the boot match her bra and hair. Turnip and wheat seeds were growing adjacent to where her body was found and a shell was found near her body.”

He also said that on a sat-nav found in the Lexus had Wisbech programmed as its destination - suggesting that the men had become lost.

The court heard Alisa’s body was found on New Year’s Day 2012 by Stephen Sharp, who was walking with his eight-year-old son Noah when they stumbled across her remains, which were surrounded by growing ivy.

Forensic pathologist, Dr Nathaniel Carey said that the body had lain between one to four months but the cause of death could not be ascertained due to the body being badly decomposed.

The court was told the Crown Prosecution Service said that there was not enough evidence to charge the men and they were released without charge.

Following the hearing, Det Insp Marie James, of the Norfolk and Suffolk Joint Major Investigation Team, said the case would remain open.

“We are certain there are individuals out there who know how and why Alisa died,” she said.

“Our investigation into her death will remain open and I would reiterate my message to anyone who may have information to have the courage to come forward.

“Alisa was a young woman on the cusp of adulthood whose life was cut short. Her family want answers and we need to find those responsible or involved in her death.

“As over three years have passed now since Alisa disappeared, we hope that allegiances may now have changed and people with important information, if they didn’t have the confidence at the time, will now feel able to come forward.”

Anyone with information about Alisa’s death is asked to contact the Major Investigation Team at Norfolk Constabulary on 101 or visit their local police station. Translation services are available on request.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Wisbech Standard. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Wisbech Standard