A1101 closed between Wisbech and Long Sutton after crash blocks road
A NOTORIOUS stretch of Fenland road has been closed after a car collided with a tree this morning.
The collision happened at the A1101 Gypsy Bends between Wisbech and Long Sutton, close to the junction with the B1165 to Newton.
A car left the road at about 7.50am and collided with a tree. The driver suffered slight injuries and was shaken, but the road was blocked and there was extensive damage caused to the front of the car.
A police spokesman said: “Recovery are at the scene and just before 9am and requested that they need the road closing.”
The crash comes weeks after work costing �350,000 was completed to improve the bends. The stretch of road had seen 23 accidents, including five fatal crashes, between January 2005 and December 2009.
You may also want to watch:
Work, carried out by Cambridgeshire Highways, included widening the bends and improving the road surface to reduce skidding.
- 1 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 2 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 3 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 4 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 5 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 6 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 7 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 8 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies
- 9 Mum caught driving with revoked license on school run gets car seized
- 10 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown