A1101 closed between Wisbech and Long Sutton after crash blocks road
A NOTORIOUS stretch of Fenland road has been closed after a car collided with a tree this morning.
The collision happened at the A1101 Gypsy Bends between Wisbech and Long Sutton, close to the junction with the B1165 to Newton.
A car left the road at about 7.50am and collided with a tree. The driver suffered slight injuries and was shaken, but the road was blocked and there was extensive damage caused to the front of the car.
A police spokesman said: “Recovery are at the scene and just before 9am and requested that they need the road closing.”
The crash comes weeks after work costing �350,000 was completed to improve the bends. The stretch of road had seen 23 accidents, including five fatal crashes, between January 2005 and December 2009.
You may also want to watch:
Work, carried out by Cambridgeshire Highways, included widening the bends and improving the road surface to reduce skidding.
- 1 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 2 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
- 3 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 4 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 5 47-home estate 'beggars belief' says councillor
- 6 Showcase status for Academy
- 7 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 8 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 9 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 10 ‘From street dog to show champion’ - how Toby rescued his family