A1101 blackspot in Fenland closed after Citroen car flipped onto its roof in crash
THE A1101 north of Wisbech was closed this morning after a car flipped onto its roof following a crash.
The single-vehicle collision took place at 6.29am south of Tydd Gote, on the Cambridgeshire/Lincolnshire border, close to the Gypsy Bends accident blackspot.
A Citroen Saxo car driven by a man flipped over onto its roof but escaped injury. He was out of the car by the time emergency crews arrived.
The man’s father, who was not in the car, also arrived at the scene and called for recovery. The road was closed between 7.30am and 8am while the car was recovered.
It is the second in four days that the A1101 has been closed following a collision. On Thursday morning a car left the road close to the junction with the B1165 to Newton and collided with a tree.
Both incidents came weeks after work costing �350,000 was completed to improve the bends. The stretch of road had seen 23 accidents, including five fatal crashes, between January 2005 and December 2009.
Work, carried out by Cambridgeshire Highways, included widening the bends and improving the road surface to reduce skidding.
- 1 Mechanic turned astrophotographer's stunning images of space
- 2 Missing woman back home
- 3 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 4 Academy students pitch to the ‘dragons’ for new sports club
- 5 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 6 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
- 7 Wife pays tribute to ex-footballer who 'I could always rely on'
- 8 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 9 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 10 Pastor in freedom of speech and job fight over Pride tweet