A lesson in love
A COUPLE, who taught in schools across Fenland, celebrate their diamond wedding anniversary next Thursday (February 22). Jack and Mavis Bramble met each other in Watford, where they used to live, when they were nine years old and started taking notice o
A COUPLE, who taught in schools across Fenland, celebrate their diamond wedding anniversary next Thursday (February 22).
Jack and Mavis Bramble met each other in Watford, where they used to live, when they were nine years old and started 'taking notice' of each other when they were 14. And they married at St Matthew's Church in Oxhey, Watford, Hertfordshire, on February 22, 1947.
They moved to Upwell from Watford in 1969, and to Outwell in 1973 where they have lived since.
After settling in the area, Jack taught at the Hereward School in March until it closed in 1985, moving to the town's Neale-Wade Community College until retirement in 1992. Mavis, meanwhile, taught for about a year at Upwell Primary School before moving to the Townley Primary School, Christchurch.
You may also want to watch:
Jack, 81, also served with the Parachute Regiment of the Army in the Second World War, and Mavis, 80, served in the decoding department at Bletchley Park.
The couple has three daughters, Sherryl, Janice and Sally, as well as 10 grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 3 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 4 'It could happen to anyone' - girlfriend of drowning victim speaks out
- 5 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 6 Fenland Council welcomes Covid-19 compliant free rock festival
- 7 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 8 Replacing pub with houses ‘effective re-use' of site
- 9 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 10 9 never to be forgotten moments from Cambridgeshire politicians
To celebrate, Jack and Mavis are going out for a meal with their daughters and their husbands, before a family buffet at the Five Bells pub in Upwell next Saturday (February 24).