A lesson in love
A COUPLE, who taught in schools across Fenland, celebrate their diamond wedding anniversary next Thursday (February 22). Jack and Mavis Bramble met each other in Watford, where they used to live, when they were nine years old and started taking notice o
A COUPLE, who taught in schools across Fenland, celebrate their diamond wedding anniversary next Thursday (February 22).
Jack and Mavis Bramble met each other in Watford, where they used to live, when they were nine years old and started 'taking notice' of each other when they were 14. And they married at St Matthew's Church in Oxhey, Watford, Hertfordshire, on February 22, 1947.
They moved to Upwell from Watford in 1969, and to Outwell in 1973 where they have lived since.
After settling in the area, Jack taught at the Hereward School in March until it closed in 1985, moving to the town's Neale-Wade Community College until retirement in 1992. Mavis, meanwhile, taught for about a year at Upwell Primary School before moving to the Townley Primary School, Christchurch.
You may also want to watch:
Jack, 81, also served with the Parachute Regiment of the Army in the Second World War, and Mavis, 80, served in the decoding department at Bletchley Park.
The couple has three daughters, Sherryl, Janice and Sally, as well as 10 grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.
- 1 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 2 Dogs 'whining and crying' claims kennels objector
- 3 New £1.5million Co-op store opens its doors – creating 12 local jobs
- 4 Three derelict cottages sell in auction for £122,000
- 5 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
- 6 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 7 First wholetime woman firefighter in Cambs retires after 30 years
- 8 Arsonists strike again by setting fire to tyres
- 9 Port welcomes 10 ships in a month from Latvia to The Netherlands
- 10 Two appear in court for murder after victim dies from 2006 assault
To celebrate, Jack and Mavis are going out for a meal with their daughters and their husbands, before a family buffet at the Five Bells pub in Upwell next Saturday (February 24).