A lesson in love
A COUPLE, who taught in schools across Fenland, celebrate their diamond wedding anniversary next Thursday (February 22). Jack and Mavis Bramble met each other in Watford, where they used to live, when they were nine years old and started taking notice o
A COUPLE, who taught in schools across Fenland, celebrate their diamond wedding anniversary next Thursday (February 22).
Jack and Mavis Bramble met each other in Watford, where they used to live, when they were nine years old and started 'taking notice' of each other when they were 14. And they married at St Matthew's Church in Oxhey, Watford, Hertfordshire, on February 22, 1947.
They moved to Upwell from Watford in 1969, and to Outwell in 1973 where they have lived since.
After settling in the area, Jack taught at the Hereward School in March until it closed in 1985, moving to the town's Neale-Wade Community College until retirement in 1992. Mavis, meanwhile, taught for about a year at Upwell Primary School before moving to the Townley Primary School, Christchurch.
Jack, 81, also served with the Parachute Regiment of the Army in the Second World War, and Mavis, 80, served in the decoding department at Bletchley Park.
The couple has three daughters, Sherryl, Janice and Sally, as well as 10 grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.
- 1 Arsonist started fire in Wisbech care home
- 2 Council calls for return to mask wearing as Covid soars
- 3 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 4 Elderly man scares off would-be burglar
- 5 Smiles return as bridge re-painting comes to an end
- 6 Armed police swoop on youngsters brandishing suspected hand gun
- 7 Rikki Neave’s mother calls for tougher sentence for son’s murderer
- 8 Steve Barclay becomes Health Secretary following shock resignations
- 9 Woman, 80, dies following A141 crash
- 10 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
To celebrate, Jack and Mavis are going out for a meal with their daughters and their husbands, before a family buffet at the Five Bells pub in Upwell next Saturday (February 24).